Thread: balancer

Senior SCH Member

Post balancer

how important is a good harmonic balancer on a supercharged sbf if it is kept under 6500 rpm?
    is there any advantage from a stock balancer to a sfi rated one?
    this is on a low budget 306,in which i try to keep the rpm's down as this is primarily a street engine.Just looking for a way for to keep it together for as long as i can and still have fun at the track
    any input would be great as pros and cons
    Thanks

Senior SCH Member
    what balancer do most of you run for a street engine? stock ? aftermarket?

A good harmonic balancer is always a worthwhile investment, IMHO. Whether an engine is force-fed or not, a good harmonic balancer will help to dampen most vibrations the crankshaft encounters while spinning at almost any RPM, and will keep from transmitting them to other critical engine parts (like timing chains/gears, oil pump drive shafts, etc...).

I know for GM engines, Fluidampr has been a trusted name for years and their products are even available over the counter from any GM dealership's parts department. But I know they also make dampers for Ford as well as Mopar, Honda, Mazda, VW, and a host of other applications.

http://www.fluidampr.com/

However, for the real hard-core performance enthusiast, a TCI Rattler is the only way to go. They are a bit more expensive than the Fluidampr offerings, but they are INCREDIBLY rugged, and used in some of the fastest, most powerful race cars out there. For my money, this is it! And, like the Fluidampr stuff, they make applications for all kinds of engines.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Rattler/

Hope that helps.