Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

GM TPI kit- what's missing?

Thread: GM TPI kit- what's missing?

Junior SCH Member

GM TPI kit- what's missing?

I recently ordered this kit supposed to have 3-5k miles on it. I want this to work on my stock 305 tpi motor. I am very new to this!
    Looking at these pictures am I not missing the tube that runs to the plenum? Seems to only have the air filter hose or am I wrong?
    I have a serpantine system on the car as it is. The supplied pulley will effectively add room for another v belt to drive the SN93. Does that make sense?
    Have I screwed up here guys or will this work out good for me in the end?

Have I got any chance of making this work? Anything I need to fab or order?

Thanks

Hi there, and welcome to SCH! Glad to have you aboard.

"Screwed up" is a relative term. If you paid $5,000 and didn't get everything you need to install this blower on your car, then yes... you screwed up. But, that doesn't mean you can't find what you need to still use this on your car.

From what I can tell, you're missing the discharge tube that runs from the blower's outlet to the TPI throttle body. Everything else seems to be there, including all the mount brackets and hardware. So it's not a total loss at all.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you would even begin to start in order to find these discharge tubes. These were cast pieces, not simply bent tubing/piping. Paxton no longer deals with these old blowers, so calling them will do you no good at all. You could try Paradise Wheels, but even that's a crap-shoot. Maybe Blowerworks (they specialize in supercharging Corvettes) might have a set that you can use...? Another thing to remember is that if you're car uses MAF, the discharge tube will be in two pieces, with the MAF mounted between the two; if it uses a MAP sensor, the discharge tube will be three pieces (one piece will be a "filler" tube for where the MAF would be installed).

I am not overly familiar with the F-Body kits; they were a bit different from the kits sold for Corvettes, which is what I'm most familiar with.

However, I do have the installation instructions for '88-'92 F-Body cars. It should contain the complete list of parts as well as the instructions to install this on your car. I'll email it over to you in the next little while.

Junior SCH Member
    Hi Mike, and thanks for the welcome!

My car is MAF, so would be a two part discharge with the MAF monted in the middle somewhere.

Hmm, some fabbing work required and needed I think. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and learning not all is lost!

Cheers

Nothing is ever a "loss" in my opinion. Anything can be fixed and made to work, if you're willing to put the time and effort into it.

What you bought is certainly useable, even if you had to fabricate your own discharge tubing. The fact that you have all the mounting hardware is a HUGE bonus; I've seen lots of people buy blowers from without brackets and spending months either hunting down the correct brackets or making their own.

The unfortunate reality is that these blowers are old and the support from most tuners that used to install these - and certainly from Paxton itself - has all but dwindled to a very small handful. But you've come to the right place. Lots of helpful people here and a lot of good technical information. Browse and search through the forums, ask your questions (big or small)... I'm sure you'll find all the help you need.

Keep an eye on your inbox - I'll be emailing you the install manual in the next couple of minutes.

Junior SCH Member
    Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the quality advise and file. I feel much better about things now and look forward to updating the board here on progress.

Cheers,
    Felix

No problem at all. Glad to be of help.

It's not everyday you hear of a supercharged American V8 in Marry ol' Englandland, so please do keep us updated on your progress.

Junior SCH Member
    He, he much of that has to do to the fact that gas/fuel is around $9.50 a gallon :sick:

This is the car the kit is (hopefully) going in.

WOW! A convertible! Not only a rare care here in North America, but I can imagine there aren't too many of those running around the UK! Very nice indeed!

You should add it to the SCH Garage (link is in the top nav bar, near the right hand side).

Junior SCH Member
    These are a very rare sight over here :)

I will only add to the showroom once she is worthy- ie has a supercharger :D

all the best

BTW - I believe these are the discharge tubes you will need for your install. These came with my SN89 when I bought it (forgive their rough look... I'm still in the process of polishing them back to a mirror-like finish).

And before you ask, no, I am not looking to sell them... LOL!!

However, I can tell you that they came from Blowerworks (www.blowerworks.net), back when they were called The Carroll Supercharging Co. I'd suggest contacting them via email to see if they still have any of these around that they might be willing to sell you. The owner of the company, Greg Carroll, is incredibly knowledgeable with respect to supercharging TPI-based engines (the focus of their work has been on Corvettes, but the parts should still work for your application).

It might also be important to mention this particular discharge tube leading to the throttle body has provision for a water/meth injection jet. Blowerworks are big proponents of water/meth injection over traditional intercoolers (also called "Gaseous Intercooling"); water/meth injection is generally better for low-boost systems (below 10psi). I have seen these discharge tubes without this injection jet provision, however I doubt you'll get one from Blowerworks. But, if you don't plan to run water/meth injection and instead run a traditional intercooler, you can just install a plug and seal it off.

Junior SCH Member
    Top stuff Michael. Have e-mailed greg and am keeping my fingers crossed!

If you don't have any luck with Blowerworks, let me know. Maybe I can take my discharge tubes someplace to see what they would want to bend some aluminum tubing to the same shape...? Another option would be for me to take dimensions of the tubes so you can have someone make them locally?

But let's wait to see what Blowerworks says first. Might not be worth the effort if they have them and the price is reasonable.

Junior SCH Member
    Those 180 degree cast bends are the correct missing parts. But there are other options. While not as pretty, there are tight radius 90 degree cast bends (at places like Ebay, etc). These could be TIG'd together or just joined by silicone hose.

I had to rotate the outlet of the s/c to create enough distance between the inlet and outlet, but it can be done. My Paxton still needs to be rebuilt with the 'guts' put back in it -- hence no pully or shaft in the picture.

I took a picture while I mocked up the hose routing to see if it was possible. My final install will have the silicone elbow attached to the throttle body trimmed some, which will move the other elbows around also.

The other two pictures are just of the s/c brackets fully installed.

My kit was originally for the 305 TBI motor in the 88-92. But, the bracket part of the install used the TPI manual. The fueling portion of the install used the TBI full size trunk manual.

You do have two brackets I don't reconize. It is the two in your picture between the hose, air filter hosing and pulley -- the black 90 degree bend and the aluminum one. One I don't see is a small silver bracket with a 90 degree bend on each end. It is to stabilize the alternator by bolting to the back of it and to the motor mount through bolt.

I don't see any sort of fueling option -- neither an FMU or the extra fuel injectors/spacer plate that went between the throttle body and the plenum.

My intake uses an ls1 round throttle body, but there isn't any reason the silicone hose couldn't compress to an oval shape.

As for cost, each of my cast alumimum elbows was about $30. The two 3" silicone joiners were about $12 ea, the 3" to 2.75" reducer was about $16 and the large elbow (in my case 3.75 to 3.0") was around $35. So around $165 to just get from the s/c to the tb.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Member
    I may have the two inlet pipes I will look tomorrow morning

Junior SCH Member
    I have the instructions scanned to my PC for this install if they are needed.