Thread: just installed my novi 2k, what a freakin ordeal!

just installed my novi 2k, what a freakin ordeal!

the instructions are horrible. Incomplete in many areas. Luckilly, I had someone help me who was pretty good with cars.

1-the bolt for the alternator does not work. We had to ream out the hole in the outer bracket and use the stock bolt. We then had to file the head of it down to make clearance for the belt. Obviously, it would be much easier to do if we didn't already mount everything. In hindsight, I would have adjusted the bracket and filed the bolt before installation.

2-the bracket holding the accessory belt tensioner does not fit flush. It hits the bracket for the air conditioning compressor. We had to uninstall and file these areas to make a proper seat for the bracket.

3-there isn't enough clearance for one of the accessory belt pulleys on the passenger side of the radiator. I had to employ the 2x4 and mallet procedure to bend them.

there were several other areas, but these were the worst. Overall, the s/c works great. 1st and 2nd gears wind out fast, and that is with stock 2.73 gears!

I would do it again, but I wish the instructions were more clear. Heck, charge an extra $10 and make colors photos. Also, someone doing this a 2nd time would know where the problems with the kit are.

Junior SCH Member
    I don't suppose you took any photos of the problems that you had? Does anyone have photos of the portions of their install that did not follow the Paxton instructions? I have heard so many people say they wish they would have known this or that in advance. Maybe we could have some kind of knowledge base for the install? I am going to be installing my 2k in a few weeks, so I would love to have everything documented before I start so I know exactly what to expect. Thanks.

No photos, I was just ready to get finished. I can take photos and email if you like. One of the areas would be hard to show. The 1st 2 things I mentioned were the worst. Dropping the gas tank was a little aggravating.

Went out today and chirped the tires at 20mph in 1st gear. It was well worth it.

Junior SCH Member
    And you think you had problems?????????
    I bought my NOVI 2000R and nobody told me that it wont fit the SN-95,unless......................................... .......
    I had to change the timing chain cover and water pump to a 93 and back style(it only took me 2 days to figure that out)and the intake tubing had to be cut and re-welded to fit the SN-95angled throddle bodyafter all that said and done,then came the clerance problems with the electric fan and the pulleis,it was a nightmare.If only I was told that the front of the motor had to be retrofitted to a fox style,all the other problems would have been like water under the bridge,but at that point,I was very frustrated,but I got the turd together:)

Junior SCH Member
    lol I got you all beat. Try starting with nothing but a head unit and a car paxton never got around to making a kit for. So I'm making my own kit. Started last fall, I'm almost done!
    91 Firebird Formula
    305 TPI Novi 2000
    Custom water/alky injection
    T-56 Tranny
    Full exhaust
    Too many suspension mods to list

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MarkA 91Formula
    lol I got you all beat. Try starting with nothing but a head unit and a car paxton never got around to making a kit for. So I'm making my own kit. Started last fall, I'm almost done!
    Well,did you ever consider why Paxton never made a kit for a chebby?:hmm: LOL
    Good luck with the fabing efforts,post some pics when you are done:idea:

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by NOVI BLOWN 347
    Well,did you ever consider why Paxton never made a kit for a chebby?:hmm: LOL
    Good luck with the fabing efforts,post some pics when you are done:idea:

Actually I assumed it was simply bad taste on paxtons part :santa:
    91 Firebird Formula
    305 TPI Novi 2000
    Custom water/alky injection
    T-56 Tranny
    Full exhaust
    Too many suspension mods to list

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MarkA 91Formula
    Actually I assumed it was simply bad taste on paxtons part :santa:
    :bonk: you got it!!!

Post some pics of the install & finished product.

Junior SCH Member
    We had the same issues on my Paxton install on my 92 and I have the trick flow intake and the discharge tube will fit it took a little effort but it goes on.
    There are some bugs with the kit and I’m sure Paxton Engineering know about them but like all companies it takes time to get these revision or ADCN changes on the prints and then get them down to the CNC Programming dept and then to the production floor same goes to the tech writer’s who do the install manuals.
    And even after this is all done parts that are made before the engineering revision will still be sent to be used (as is) the only quick way I see is to relay these problem with the assy would be to send an attachment with the install instruction advising the end user of these problems so he can be prepared ahead of time on these issues.