Thread: SN for a 400 SBC

Senior SCH Member

SN for a 400 SBC

Hello,

I was wondering if you folks could give me some advice before I start throwing money away.

I would like to add about 75hp to my SBC 400, will a SN with the upgrade impeller supply enough cfm? Right now the motor makes about 440hp @ 5800rpm. I'm not looking for a lot of boost; 4lbs should be good for 50-75hp.

The reason I ask is because the SN units look to be fairly easy to work on and get parts for, especially since they have been around for so long. Self contained is a big plus too. Also, I just like the way they look.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    If you haven't bought a supercharger yet, spend the extra money and get yourself a Novi 2000 instead. More cfm better suited to a larger ci motor than a SN and a more reliable design.

That said I talked to a guy who built a 67 Dodge Coronet with a 440 and ran 12.9 without boost with a very mild build, added the SN2000 w/ HO impellor and ran a 12.0 with more tuning needed.

Senior SCH Member

Thank you for the response. I understand that he Novi 2000 would be better suited, but I really like the self contained aspect of the SN series. This would be in a car that sees 2000 miles a year, just driven too and from the drag strip. Really I just want 4-5 pis. Perhaps the VR4 would provide what I'm looking for. Or I just wait for one of the new self contained Novi SL or V3 units to hit Ebay.

I have not purchased a unit yet still doing my research.

Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    For what you're going to pay for a SN head unit plus a VR4 conversion, you can buy a Novi. If you really want a self contained you can but a SL, however piping in an oil feed and drain line is not a big deal. Splitter at your oil pressure sender and welding a fitting to your oil pan for a drain is small potatoes. I actually like the idea of an oil feed to keep a supply of fresh oil to the head unit.

Senior SCH Member
    True the oil supply line and drain are not really a concern as far as fabrication goes. I have just seen too many Superchargers go bad and contaminate the engine and motors go and take out the blower. So, If I could mitigate the risk with a self contained unit it seems like a good idea.