Thread: Intro/Plus Question

Junior SCH Member

Intro/Plus Question

Hey all,

New to superchargers. I have a 66 corvette I am looking at installing a vintage mcculloch sc on. I am looking at a unit sn: SN 60-5710712. Will this unit work on SBC? Can the year of manufacture be determined from the SN?

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank, and welcome to SCH!

A fellow Corvette owner! Nice.

To answer your second question, yes an SN60 will bolt up to SBC as long as you use the appropriate brackets. Different brackets are used for small block Ford vs. small block Chevy engines. If the unit you're looking at doesn't come with the appropriate brackets, it may take some time to find them, so keep that in mind if you're negotiating a price.

As for the question re: year of manufacture, I don't know if you can tell by the serial number. I know my SN89 has the date of manufacture stamped on one of the brackets, but not on the head unit itself. You can try posting your question in the Paxton SN series forum section and see if someone more knowledgeable posts a response. Or you can try contacting Craig at Paradise Wheels 1-760-740-0954 or via email at conleyr107@sbcglobal.net to see if he can help. Paradise Wheels officially own the rights to all the old Paxton ball-drive superchargers.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Michael,

Thanks for the help. What is the going price range I can expect to pay?

Frank

No problem.

As for the price, it's difficult to say. It's all dependent on condition of the charger, whether it comes with everything needed to install it, etc...

The average rate for a used SN is about $1200 - $1500, but that price can vary significantly if there are major parts/components missing, or if the head unit is in need of a rebuild, or even if the head unit/components have been upgraded in anyway (like a VR4 conversion, an upgraded impeller, etc...).

To give you an example, the SN89 I purchased a few years back cost me $300, but it is need of a major rebuild, something I knew going in. If it was in good working order, given all the parts I received with it, I probably would have had to pay upwards of $1200.