Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Bought this for $150... now what?

Thread: Bought this for $150... now what?

Junior SCH Member

Bought this for $150... now what?

My dad was selling this SN89 off his RX7. 3rd gear pull and the impeller just blew apart.

He had it sitting for months, finally decided to sell it. I grabbed it for $150 to either resell because I swear they are worth more or to actually use if I can.

So as I stand I need an impeller and maybe shaft.

Anyways, just thought I would share.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 03-27-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Wow, sure chewed up that impeller. What RPM was that thing spinning to?

Are you planning to use it or are you just looking to flip it? I'm only guessing, but it looks like $600-700 in parts to rebuild and replace the impeller. Assuming the rear cover is not damaged too. You might make more than the $150 ebaying it, but you won't make your money back rebuilding/repairing then selling. I would only repair it if you plan to keep it. $150 for a spare parts unit seems fair to me, I would have grabbed it too. Just my 2 cents.

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah I guess when i get back in town I will take it apart and check it all out. Who knows, may get lucky... may not!

Junior SCH Member
    Started to tear it apart! Found out the issues.

The balls are fine, I cannot see ANY flattening on them. They roll fine etc...

The issue is the typical impeller shaft. Has massive scoring on it. I wonder if it caused the impeller failure? I think its been rebuilt before. It has some writing on it "xxxxx previously". One bolt on the outside cover was missing a washer, so therefore I think it was rebuilt before.

The internals look nice. The only issue is the impeller and the shaft.

My next question is.... the oil pump assembly. It feels sorta rough, but it just may be really tight bearings without tons of oil flowing through it? It free spins but feels like there is something with the bearings. I have no issue taking it apart and replacing the bearings but... how on earth does it come apart? lol, still researching that!

Anyways... pics! If you see anything odd or I should check, let me know.

Lint free rag... pft yeah.

SCH Member
    I noticed the housing shape first, and then the "GSS" serial number.Is this a GSS with an SN 89 sticker on it?!?!

It may very well be a mislabeled GSS. I believe all GSS' had the H.O. impeller; the one in these photos is an H.O. impeller.

If it is a true GSS (and I have no reason to think that it isn't) then this is a rare unit indeed.

For the cost of a new impeller shaft and impeller, I'd consider ordering a complete rebuild kit along with a new impeller from Paradise Wheels. I just got a rebuild kit and new H.O. impeller last week for my SN89; the kit came with all the regular wear items within the blower (came with a new sticker too!). Even if the races, balls, carrier, etc... in yours look to be in good shape, there may be very miniscule wear on these items that could quickly destroy a new impeller shaft (along with the rest of the internal wear items).

Senior SCH Member
    Looks just like the inside of my SN2000. Way easier, I think, to work on than the SN89. JMO

Junior SCH Member
    That is definitely not a SN89, probably labeled that to stay in the terms of the ARB sticker.

Looks like it ingested something to me...

Junior SCH Member
    it probably wasn't happy with rotary rpm levels, properly geared for the 7-8k engine redline it may not be doing much at low engine speeds, kinda curious how it performed on 70 or 80 cubic inches (12a or 13b)