Thread: FMU Question

Junior SCH Member

FMU Question

How can I tell if the Paxton Fmu I have is the one that I can change the disk in
    for 8 to 1.
    It is silver colored with a red ring that saids Paxton in blue.
    I need it to work for 24 lb injectors and don't want to buy the kit to
    change it and find out its not the one that can be changed.

Thanks!!!!

SCH Member
    I have a Paxton SN-2000 that will be a year old this June. I run the FMU (mine is all Blue)
    with my set up for now, but I opened it up and there is just a slug type piston and the calibration disc and the seal at the bottom and the diaphram at the top and a spring. I would think yours should be adjustable like most. Take the allen head bolts out and look for the disc? Try not to break the diaphram gasket thats all. I was told once I stepped up to a large type injector ie.. 42lb I wouldn't need the FMU any longer anyway. I am building
    a brand new motor while we speak so my FMU will be up for sale when I get it done. Hope this helped you out?? 89LX,Todd

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for replying LX89. So yours has a spring in it. I had mine apart and it had no spring in it . I figured that the fuel pressure would act like a spring.
    Now I am more confused LOL. Is Your FMU a Paxton unit?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Where are you in CT? I grew up in CT now live in Pa.

SCH Member

FMU Spring

I believe from memory it was above the diaphram on the top side?? My car is in garage in Uncasville,CT. Not here right now so I can't run out and check for you. I lived in Uncasville most of my life.

SCH Member
    sorry, yes it is it came with my new Paxton last June.

SCH Member
    What's the purpose of t he FMU? Is it a fuel regulator?

SCH Member

FMU

The Fuel Meter Unit helps to move the fuel back in the return side to
    the tank. They are calibrated for your injector size for a very good reason.
    It is only necessary with the smaller injectors because you need a larger LPH
    fuel pump to keep up with the fuel needs of the supercharger.
    With the smaller sized injectors they can't use all the fuel that is being fed to them
    so it would back up in the rails if you didn't help evacuate the suplus
    un-used fuel back to the tank as quickly as possible. This is how it was explained
    to me and it makes sense.
    I found on a Ford Racing Catalog on Disc for 2009 a handy guide for proper fuel injection
    sizes by approximate horsepower ratings, it's on the money for proper fuel air ratios.
    You may then tweek your fuel pressure up or down to get the correct "Stoic"
    reading on a Wide-band Air fuel gauge. I use an Autometer and it works well, just make
    sure to get the Wide-band one and "NOT" the Narrow-band one. You will know the
    difference by price the Wide-band is around 260.00 but they are coming down in price
    the Narrow band is 50.00 or so and all it will do is bounce back and forth because it is
    only designed to read slightly around "Stoic" where as the Wide-band
    covers a much larger range. If you want to completely tune your car you can
    look into an Anderson PMS system that will do alot more Fine tuning. You can adjust
    everything from timing by boost and fuel adjustments by injectors pulses by Percentages etc..

Senior SCH Member

Fuel Management Unit

SCH Member

FMU

I stand corrected! I was misinformed it seems...