Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How accurate are boost gauges?

Thread: How accurate are boost gauges?

Junior SCH Member

How accurate are boost gauges?

I run the Autometer Phantom boost gauge (mechanical) and wondering just how accurate they are?

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

Senior SCH Member
    A mechanical boost gauge is usually right on, not much for it be off on.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

SCH Member
    well does where its mounted have anything to do with how accurate it reads? mine just threads right into the back of the intake (edelbrock rpm) Where as before i just t'ed off one of the vacuum lines on the fuel pres regulator.
    Vibrant Red 94GT

Junior SCH Member
    Just to clarify why I was asking how *accurate* boost gauges are/were. The reason is when I was on the dyno (around 3/4 weeks ago), I was only seeing 7psi of boost when I know that I should be more around the 9-10 psi range.

I realize that a mechanical gauge either works or doesn't work and I've had pretty good luck with all of my Autometer gauges thus far.

Anyway getting to the point, I never really thought about it too much but when I did dyno the humidity was like 98.9% and it was raining that day. I didn't give that much thought but I think that was one of the main reasons that my boost was so low.

This past Friday I took the car out and was seeing a solid 10psi.

Sorry for the confusion.
    AOL IM: OneBadAzzGT

1998 Supercharged Geee Tee (Powered by 2000 SOHC Engine)

Mods: R470W auto PA valve body/shift kit/deep trans pan, Hayden trans cooler, 2800 PI stall, Vortech "S" trim supercharger, Bullitt intake, Cobra twin 57mm TB, D&D Coilovers, Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber plates, Lakewood 90/10 strut & Lakewood 50/50 shocks, AFM PowerPipe, FMS Alum Driveshaft, 42 # injectors, Walbro 255 intank fuel pump, Walbro 255 inline fuel pump, Steeda Heavy Duty Upper & Lower Control Arms, Steeda Full Length Subframes w/cross-brace, Cobra R 2 1/2" cowl hood, HPM (Zinc) driveshaft loop, MSD DIS-4, Pro M 80mm MAF, K&N Air, Weld Prostar drag welds, 31 spline Moser axles, 3" Moroso studs, McGuard lugnuts, SVO differential, "Downs" rear Girdle, FMS 3.73 gears, 180 deg thermostat, Fan by-pass switch, FR500 Steering Wheel, Phantom white gauges throughout car, Mac longtube headers, Mac offroad "H" pipe & Borla XR1 catback.