Thread: are 36# injectors ok for stock engine and novi 2k?

are 36# injectors ok for stock engine and novi 2k?

I was interested in 24 or 30 # injectors, but someone offered to sell me 36. Is this too much? I have a stock '89 5.0 with novi 2k setup.

Can I get rid of the FMU? Do I have to get an aftermarket fuel regulator? Will the new injectors/MAF be a simple switch?

Or should I just get the smaller injectors (24 or 30)? This car is a daily driver that will see little track time.

Junior SCH Member
    30 or 36 will be fine for your combo. It all depends on what you want to do later on. If you buy 30's now and then a few months you might get some more hp and need the 36's. Now you have to sell the 30's and you loose some money. Figure out what you want out of your car then get that. If not you will always be up grading and selling parts.

No do not get rid of your fmu yet, yes def i would get an after market fuel reg. This will help you tune your car in. Yes they are an easy switch, it should only take a hour or so.

30 would be fine for you 36's will give you a little more room to grow if you decide to get heads, cam, intake, etc. The 36's that I have have taken me to 11.4 at 124. The car never had any driving problems with these injectors.

Doug went 10.80's with 36's and no fmu with a gss340 high volume pump with heads, intake and a novi2k. It is an easy swap as 347 noted above. I hade 36's on my totally stock 134k mile long block with the 2k and everything worked fine. Say good buy to gas milage though with anything bigger then 24's. To give you an idea I'm trying to get 50's to work with the stock motor and novi setup and am having a hell of a time getting the thing running correctly. I would also highly suggest a feul pressure regulator. This should be a pre req to owning a blower in my books.

and in 468's classic words "fmu's are the works of de debil!"

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    I'am using 42lb injectors with my Novi 2000 on a stock block 4.6 DOHC 1997 Mustang Cobra. You have to remember that a Novi 2000 is capable of flowing up to 1700 cfm and 29lbs of boost. Injector size has to do with how much horsepower you will be making. Pro-M says that 24lb injectors support 349bhp, 30lb=436bhp, 36lb=523bhp & 42lb=610bhp.

Junior SCH Member
    Hey go with the 42's no fmu. I have the 36's and fmu 8.5.1 comp and still mix 100 to race safely. 42 and above!!!!!!!!!! room to grow
    87 LX NOVI2K

As Brandon(untchbl) said above, I went 10.8's with the 36's. I did have them on my car when it had the stock motor. It was stock right down to the throttle body, all I had was gear, tranny, exhaust, Pro M 80 and the 36's. I then install the AFR's, intake, and throttle body and ithe 36's worked perfectly. Go to the photopost and look at my old dynosheet, you will see that my A/F ratio was perfect. You will be just fine with the 36's.
    Doug
    PS
    Ditch the FMU, you will not need it and the car will make more power once you get it tuned right.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Originally posted by UNTCHBL
    To give you an idea I'm trying to get 50's to work with the stock motor and novi setup and am having a hell of a time getting the thing running correctly.
    What problems are you having? I had no problems on a stock motor, novi 2k and 50s...with and without the autologic chip.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by 4.6 Cobra
    Injector size has to do with how much horsepower you will be making. Pro-M says that 24lb injectors support 349bhp, 30lb=436bhp, 36lb=523bhp & 42lb=610bhp.
    This depends on two factors: the bsfc - n/a can be okay at .45 but blown likes .55+, and also you have to watch out for running out of available injection time on the top end - a 24# injector that supports 349hp at 5000rpm might not support 349hp @ 6800 rpm due to the shorter time slot available for the injection pulses (rule of thumb for dataloggers is 6k rpm = 20msec window).

Here's an easy rule of thumb for injectors & supported power:

(Inj. flow Lb/hr) x .8 x 2 x (# of injectors) = max HP

-> .8 is 80% duty cycle; you might go up to 90% duty cycle but 95% is really pushing it over the edge.

Examples:

24 x .9 x 2 x 8 = 346 hp

30 x .9 x 2 x 8 = 432 hp

42 x .9 x 2 x 8 = 605 hp

hth
    Chris