Thread: Best way of getting accurate boost numbers

Junior SCH Member

Best way of getting accurate boost numbers

i have heard to run in third near your shift mark and then read the boost number, but i can't really get in third and read it cause i have stock gears and im goin like over 100 and i don't want to get caught by the poli, can i rev the engine to my shift mark and read the boost or any other gears.

i wouldn't recommend revving your engine to the shift mark.since there is no load you may force a lean condition and possibly damage your engine.since keeping on eye on peak boost at 100 mph + is kind of tricky, a data acquisition system would really come in handy, but they are very expensive.this is how i do it:i mount a video camera in my car and focus in on the boost gauge.if you are worried about tickets try this at your local dragstrip.your most accurate peak boost numbers will be at the end of third and fourth gear.this is so you don't run out of gear before the supercharger has enough time to build peak boost.then you can show all your friends that you really can make 15 pounds of boost without anybody calling you a bullshitter.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Junior SCH Member
    cool thanks! are your gt40 heads ported? I have stock heads and i am thinking of getting the gt40's and i just ordered a 306 from dss like yours but im just getting the base bullet, anyway do you like those heads?

my heads are stage 3 ported and polished.i had the flow sheet at one time, but not quite sure where i hid it.i do remember flow numbers being a little low on the exhaust side, at least by todays standards.on a good note they are quality castings and have been flawless.they did get 0-ringed over the winter for the increased boost.the intake ports are fel-pro 1262 gasket matched.they have propelled my car 3180lbs (with driver) to an 11.5/122 mph trap w/10 lbs of boost.it does have high 10 second potential, but i'm still using the factory t-5 until at least next year $$$.i will post some pics prior to o-ringing.keywords gt40 heads.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Senior SCH Member
    u should be able to get relatively accurate boost #'s in any gear..

i have seen in my in car video consistent 2 pounds of pressure less in 1st and 2nd compared to 3rd and 4rth.i run 3.73s and a stock t-5, so i go through 1st and 2nd rather quick.at such hard and fast acceleration the drive belt tends to slip alot more compared to the "longer in gear time" that i get with 3rd and 4rth.