Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Cog Drive for DOHC's on "TheSVTKid's" car....

Thread: New Cog Drive for DOHC's on "TheSVTKid's" car....

Junior SCH Member

New Cog Drive for DOHC's on "TheSVTKid's" car....

I found this over at the corral, thought it was quite a nice write up. Looks like ATI is really stepping it up with this kit. Thought that prochargerpower, would benefit from this.

Chris

Well I took some time to get these pics up so that others can enjoy. I wanted to take the time to take some good pics of my new blower set up as it is about 95% complete. I will document more of the car as it wraps up, so that others can benefit from it. I know that it might be over powered for the street but, to each his own right. Reason why this will differ from many Race set ups is that it keeps all the AC, PS, PB, ALT,ABS, Etc. All factory options remain on the car!
    It's only built for one thing. High Horsepower Supra Hunting .
    So I hope you all will enjoy the tour, in a story book format. Starting with the old setup in the first pictures.

Thanks for your time,
    EA

CHAPTER ONE: I wanted the car to have the same stock appearance. The sumped Aeromotive tank and #8 Feed lines on both side are about all that will give the car away. The Rear End is fitted with a Trac-Loc, and Strange Axles, C-clip Elims, Girdle, you know the standard other stuff. The Fuel system is quite trick, and will be covered later on my site.

CHAPTER TWO: This is a picture of the Old motor set up. This featured a D1-SC Procharger, and Sheetmetal 3 core intercooler. The Air intake was custom made to let the D1-SC breath as she pushed the limits of the boost gauge. The motor featured, Manley Rods, and SHM Flat top pistons ( 10:1 Comp. ) I know the compresion was high, though I got a deal I couldn't pass up. The FMU is in the picture, though if you notice it is not hooked up. I just left in their incase I went to a smaller injector. Only mods to the motor at this time are Pistons, Rods, and 50lb injectors, TR6 NGK's, and a cutom Autologic chip for the tune. She was making an impressive 516.3RWHP on low boost. I felt that we good enough for the daily driver and left her alone.

CHAPTER THREE: After almost a year of daily driving and abuse(you get addicted) we decided to strap her down again, and see if after a year of abuse we could get some more out of the RODS, PISTONS Cobra. After bringing about 10 Chips to the Dyno for trial and error, we came to some great results. After playing with the chips, and Fuel Press. the little Cobra turned the rollers to the tune of 573.6 RWHP! Not to bad for a D1-SC, Moderate boost, and minimal Motor mods. Still NO cams, porting, dished pistons, intake mods, single TB, Etc. We didn't even bother to remove the IMRC plates. Though after getting heckled by many supra owners for wasting my time with the 4.6L. Things needed to change. I was on a mission now, to make a big change to the Daily Driver in the HP department. We knew the 6 rib wasn't going to cut the mustard so to speak. I posted on the corral asking about 8 rib drive conversions, and got some great Feed back, and PM's so I want to thank all of you for that. Though I decided Cog was going to be the way to go. We doubed this as "The last dyno pull that motor will ever make" and we were right. She started comming apart only a week later.

CHAPTER FOUR: The terms were set; To have over 800RWHP, yet still have Leather, AC, Power Steering, Power Brakes, and all other comfort features. This goal was set because of all the Supra owners where I live, sticking to the fact that they are better because they go fast with AC, Leather.....bla bla bla. Well I wanted to prove that the Modular Motors are here to stay. So the motor was stripped a small amount to aid in fitting the future plans. The white papers are traced copys of the brackets, to make sure everything was going to fit before we started bolting things on. The intake was removed to get chromed (valve covers will follow shortly) And the pulley in the picture is resting on that valve cover for no real reason. (other then making the picture look bad) Lets move on shall we......

CHAPTER FIVE: Well now the crank drive is bolted into place, and AC lines moved to make room. There is just something AMERICAN about looking down at a big cog driven blower pulley. The idlers for the AC, and PS will follow later in the install. You also may notice the stock radiator is in place, though it will be removed to aid the blowers air intake path. You will see why in the next picture.

CHAPTER SIX: First off I would like to note, this is just the test blower. It is a F1-R (reverse) ProCharger. The volute is just pointed where ever we wanted for the time being. (it will point down to the drivers side) The blower that will end up on the car is a F2-M, once the motor is finished up. We just wanted to make sure everything fit before the New Motor was finished, and something wasn't going to clear.

CHAPTER SEVEN: Well once again, I should have taken that pulley off the pass. side valve cover but I didn't. So please disregaurd that sitting there. Also please note that the idlers for the accessory drive belt are not placed yet, thus the belt lies limp at the water pump. The tape over the Intake ports reads "32 Valves of American V8" if anyone wonders. Also looks like I did some advertizing for "Sharpie Markers" since there is one sitting on the radiator.

Junior SCH Member

CHAPTER EIGHT: Here is what she looks like as far as hood clearance, and a nice frontal view. To realize how low this blower really sits, imagine the Stock Cobra intake sitting on the heads. Nothing major to note about this pic, compaired to the others.

CHAPTER NINE: Last pitcure I have for today. If you all liked the post, please let me know...and I will do more as everything starts wrapping up. So as it stands, the goals of being an over powered street car, with no issues with belt slip, yet still have AC, and Power steering, look well within reach.

I worked very closly with the Engineers from ATI, and this set up is the result. This kit is very similar to what you can now by from Procharger in their cog race kit. I talked with the engineers and wanted to make sure they could design it to work with everything. At first it was a RACE ONLY, with just the blower and nothing eles. Then the alt, water, and PS, was adapted to work. Now with some more engineering, everything works flawlessly. Or if you want, you can just run the blower, and nothing eles. REALLY TRICK KIT! So my hats off the the guys at ATI!! I can't thank you enough (mental note send them christmas cards this year ) I am not sure if the Accufab allows you to run all the accessories, I have never seen the unit myself, and wouldn't want to say something that wasn't true. That unit is still a very neat kit as well.

This picture shows the belt routing rather well, and the way that the bottem idler is fixed. Where as the top idler is adjustable to put tension on the belt. (Please note that the belt in this pic is not fully tight, I just slapped her on there for you all) This shows how the sub brackets bolt to each head of the motor. (also note that there is like 6 bolts on each side, though I only put in 3 or so for these shots) All this is just being put on the old motor, before it get's pulled to show you all. Lets move on with the tour shall we?........

Well here we are.... This shot shows the brackets that go from the sub brackets to the main. There is 3 bolts on each bracket (only 2 used for photos) YOu can also start to see the idler for the 32mm cog in this pic.

Here you are, looking out over the cog's "approach path" that is the idler for the kevlar belt. Pretty self explanitory... don't think much more is needed to be said about this.

I thought I would throw a shot up of myself, working on the car. I want to make sure everyone notes the following "Glasses, and GLoves" Right after this pic was taken, I had removed my glove, swapped over to the grinder, it caught an edge, and I now have a HUGE gash in my finger. So safty first kiddo's and that goes for more ways then one. The place I get to "borrow" is't open on weekends, and there is no lights (they are tied into some alarm system) So that is the light from the portable shop light I bring... Nice huh? Hey whatever works right.

Yup thats right.... I have taken full pics of all the steps in modding my intake. And also the new set of fuel rails. I will save this as well as my bandwidth, to put it up on my personal site. www.houseofboost.com (yes it's still down)

Hope this helps a few of you out there....As always

Happy Motoring,
    EA

Senior SCH Member
    Its funny i have a red cobra and a problems with supras. hope you smoke everyone, this summer I Know I will
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered