Thread: Need help... Need to find local tubing maker for custom discharge setup...

Need help... Need to find local tubing maker for custom discharge setup...

Hey guys. I am now to the final stage of the car. I need to have someone somehow figure out a way to get the air from the blower to the MAF, all fitting under my hood. It is definitely possible, just need to find a local welder/tubing expert that can figure out what needs to be done, cut, bend, and weld his creation for my car.

Who in the Detroit, MI area does this? I am not looking to break the bank, but want quality work. I have no problem paying for the work done, just don't need some outrageous price sticker on the job if possible. I don't know where to go or how much I should expect. I had a contact originally, but that just fell through. Where do I go?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Did you try talking to donnie at walsh, how much pipe do you need and how big, my buddies dad runs a muffler shop and was going to make me a pipe for my car.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Senior SCH Member
    Don, I would find a local exhaust shop, preferably someone that deals with rigs and you should be able to find up to 4.5-5.0" piping there and they can weld it and bend it up for you. I don't know how big your looking to go, but I can give you the number for an excellent fabricator here locally also that has done some work for me (he is a bit pricey but does killer work) He makes custom intercooler piping from stainless steel as well as downpipes and other crazy configurations. I guarantee if you can think of it, he can make it. Just let me know.

I only need 3" tubing... and of course a 1.5" tube 1" long for the blow off valve, but that's it.

Here are my concerns though... I have a guy that will do it, but he doesn't have a mandrel bender... isn't that important, or is that why people make small bends and weld a lot of small bends together?

My other concern is, does it matter weather it is exhaust tubing or stainless? Is it possible and/or likely that rust may form in the tube and I might get flakes or soemthing in the motor? These things I just don't know, because that's why I wanted to go stainless or aluminum ($$$). That would be expen$ive though.

I would talk to Walsh, but I know that his recomendation will end up being no less than $500, that's just the way he is... he likes to act like money grows on trees... it isn't that way for all of us. Maybe I will give him a shout, but I have known him for a long time now and know that unless you are prepared for a very expensive answer (about buying things), then don't ask :)
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I would think that regular steel or aluminized piping would be fine, it is what ATI uses in all their kits, correct? It shouldn't rust especially with the little oil mist that Prochargers always emit anyway.. Are you doing the plumbing for an intercooled application or just a straight shot to the TB? This guy I was referring to makes piping kits for turbos/blowers and he uses all types of tubing I believe, and he tig welds or madrel bends them all, crush bend is a no-no on a performance application... Bad thing is you're a little to far away...

This is going to be a streight shot to the meter above the motor... thats why this needs to be custom, because the tubing that ATI gave me doesn't fit under my hood... I'd need a monster to fit this tubing and I JUST got my hood... I'm not replacing it. There is room, I am sure of that. Whoever does it needs to be rather local so that I can take the car to them somehow (don't want to drive it far, really at all to be honest with you) with the blower discharge tube not hooked up. I can't take the belt off without taking my radiator out again and I am not doing that, so that baby is moving some air!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    That should be relatively easy for a tubing/pipe welder. I would think that someone that does big rig piping/exhaust should be able to do it. Its a shame you aren't closer I could probably get it done for you for around $250. Anyways, have you ever talked to Kevin (ponyboy on stangnet) he has done the custom piping to bypass the intercooler and his has turned out great! He is a very helpful guy and has a web site with some details on his car. He even showed me how to make the home made power pipe for my car, which turned out awesome. Here is his email, tell him Donnie sent ya. I can't remember his webiste addy or I'd give you that.

ponyboy_19@hotmail.com

I know a ton of guys around here that will do it, but they don't have mandrel benders, so I don't think that will work (or will it... is there a way to make it work)? As far as the tubing is concerned... I didn't think it would be much of a problem between the mist of blower oil and the mist of K&N oil.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST