Thread: boost?

Senior SCH Member

boost?

Hey guys, I will be putting on my new novi 1000 in the next few weeks and I have a few questions. I have a 90gt 5speed with 355's, mac headers and off road hpipe with a magnaflow catback and the rest is stock. How safe will I be with the stock fuel system and ignition system with the fmu? What do I have to purchase to ditch the fmu and do I have to get a chip burned? How much boost/hp should I expect out of the box with the revised 1000 and whats the alternative to the old system where you change the crank pulley to get more boost without changing the charger pulley? Sorry about the length, new to the forced induction world, thanks.

your stock fuel system will suffice fine with the stock boost levels & the FMU. i recommend at least 30#'ers to loose the FMU at base boost. but if you want to run more boost in the future then i would go with 42#'ers. theres no alternative from this system & the old as far as increasing boost. you still can & should change the crank pulley(over the blower/warrenty) for increased boost. a morpheus powerpipe will add 2# of boost as well. a burned chip is always a good idea for a s.c. application but i know plenty that dont have a custom chip and run just fine. the key is a good tune & safe tune......welcome to the supercharged community! enjoy!

Senior SCH Member
    thanks for the reply, one question though, the new 1000 uses a dual pully crank pully separate for the blower, you cant use the f150 pulley anymore I presume, so where do you buy the new crank pully and how much does it cost?

true, you cannot use the old f150 pullies. you can order a larger crank pulley for the revised 1k kit from ASP. do a search here theres alot of info on ASP....
    good luck!

The ASP pulley will alow you to increase boost w/o voiding the warranty but they are not cheap. However, if you compare a simple overhaul cost from Paxton (covered under warranty) to that of the ASP pulley then the pulley would be the bargain in the long run, if not it'd be good insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    how much is the pulley and does it have to be custom made, isn't there a mass produced one, I am sure there are more people other than myself interested in the pully change.

let me know what you find out...we have to find a way around this crap. well hear me out. If they say the the Novi2k will bolt right up wouldn't you be able to use the 2 piece set up? Food for thought i guess.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    well does anyone out there have this blower? What kind of boost are you making and is anyone running a bigger crank pulley with some results?

I was asking the same thing in a thread below yours. I have my Novi 1000 on it's way and I ordered a larger crank pulley from them too, it's not made by them but it's supplied by them. They told me I would see 14lbs on a stock engine. I should know for sure in a couple weeks.
    The f-150 is a 6 rib pulley and your new novi uses a 8 rib setup.
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Chemical5l,

I take it from your name you were into the NOS before? <grin>

Couple points here:

1) you WILL need a bigger fuel pump, as the stock 88 lph pump barely keeps a stock 5.0 fed properly. You will probably want something like a Walbro 190 lph pump to replace the oem pump. This job is a PITA but absolutely required, especially if you will be running an FMU.

2) If you go down the upgraded injectors + MAF route, go directly up to a good Pro-M meter and 38 or 42 pph injectors; no sense upgrading more than once, and don't bother with a C&L meter because no chip tuner will want to work with it.

3) If you can find it, an SN95 fuel rail setup is better than what you have now, it has half the restriction of the Fox fuel rail at the distribution block, which can cause cylinders to go lean if you use all of your 38-42 pph injector's pulsewidth, or start nailing the fuel pressure up over 60psi via the FMU. Not much to be gained performance-wise but your headgaskets will thank you for this one.

4) You can get by with the stock ignition system, but you will probably need to gap down your plugs to .030-.035 or so, and
    running a good healthy set of spiral core wires will help out.
    Chris

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    to run more boost, i would definately add an MSD ignition. Spark blowout will happen, it's rare to have a car run stock electronics and run well. It has been done, but why worry, buy the good stuff and never worry. I might have a 190 intank and a BBK inline for sale soon if interested. I need an upgrade now!
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

i have the new 1k....stock pullies, and inlet, with a 76mm mass air and i see 6lbs....
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    hey guys, finally got my novi 1000 on friday, opened up the box and pulled the head unit out, quite impressive looking I must say, I will be installing it in the next week or so and i will keep you updated, my car is a 90gtspeed, it has 355's and a magnaflow catback everything else is stock, it runs steady 14.6@92.5mph, I will let you know what the novi with mac shorties and off road hpipe does.