Thread: Water Injection

Junior SCH Member

Water Injection

Has anybody used it?...I was going to run an aftercooler (vortech)..but I can save a lot of money if I go this route...It is supposed to add 65 horse????....I kind of just wanted to here what people thought of it before actually getting it....

I have not ran one on my personal car, but I have installed one and tuned the car that is using it. We installed the Snow Performance kit on his. The concept is great, the execution of their kit is not so great. It gave us about 30rwhp in a 1000rwhp combo. I think 65rwhp is a little optimistic. I would recommend it over the aftercooler though.
    Doug

my buddy has the SMC water/alch injection kit. id say its the best kit IMO. it has a "in car" control unit where you can set the the pump speed & what boost the unit starts spraying. very user friendly & i believe its the only kit that has the in car control box! he hasnt had it dynoed since the install, but the difference in power is unbelieveable. he is running a vortech S-TRIM @ 10psi & is able to run his timing very aggressive. his initial timing was originally 8* & still had to pull 1* per psi of boost previously. he then set his initial at 10* & safely pulled no timing out under boost with the SMC kit. it made a huge improvement, i was shocked! he still pulls 1* out on the street to be safe but the 2* initial change alone was worth the investment. he could possibly go with more boost in the future but hes very happy with his new found power & he only uses straight water, no alcohol. he hooked the kit up & tuned it himself with moderate mechanical knowledge. i highly recomend it, im getting this kit in the very near future. heres a link to thier website SMC

Junior SCH Member
    I'm running a home brew setup and couldn't be happier. Had her running before setting up the water injection and I couldn't seem to take out enough timing to prevent detonation, running 10 lbs of boost. After the water injection I was able to set the spark tables back to stock with absolutely no detontion. It comes on at about 3# boost and so far has functioned flawlessly.
    91 Firebird Formula
    305 TPI Novi 2000
    Custom water/alky injection
    T-56 Tranny
    Full exhaust
    Too many suspension mods to list

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    For you guys running H2O/alcohol injection - next fill try adding 5% acetone to your tank.

With petroleum products, addition of water causes phase separation when alcohol is added. Added with acetone, the mixture can tolerate larger quantities of water.

Acetone, by itself, is an excellent internal coolant. Because of its very low flash point, it can reduce the sparking energy needed to spark alcohol - and make these mixtures burnable.

Because of its very high autoigniton point, it both resists pre-ignition and detonation. Has an effective octane of about 120 - between methyl and ethyl alcohol. In and of itself, it is a useful internal coolant - and while it does not absorb as much heat as methyl alcohol, it does it about 10x faster.

With heavy boost, you would want about 10 to 25% acetone, 50% water, and the balance alcohol. This gives you three different cooling zones. Acetone flashes almost immediately, the alcohol is generally evaporated in the intake, and the water survives until compression.
    Chris