Thread: Would an intake help my combo?

Junior SCH Member

Would an intake help my combo?

I will be basically running a stock 5.0 with gears, exhaust, and a S-Trim. All I have left to do in install the ignition. Anyway, I found a Cobra intake with a ported lower for $300. The guy also has a 65mm BBK TB for $100. The cobra intake has always been my favorite looking intake, and I figure this would help me car breathe a little better. Also, I have been told they stopped making the Cobra intake. Anyway, would this be good for my car?
    **93 Calypso Green LX 5.0, 1 of 654**
    BBK Ceramic coated shorties, Stainless H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, underdrive pullies, and 3:55 gears!

**89 LX 5.0**
    Vortech S-Trim with AFM Powerpipe, Pro-M with 36lb injectors, Kirban AFPR, FMS ceramic coated headers, Hedman Offroad H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 gears, and a few gauges!

**90 LX 2.3**
    88hp of one wheel spinning fury. The best 835.79 spent so far!

sounds like a good deal for the intake and tb.figure new w/porting will cost about 1k.the biggest restriction on a stock block by far are the cylinder heads.the cobra intake will help but hp gains will be minimal.get a good set of cylinder heads, combined with the cobra intake and you will find out for yourself why the stock heads were treated like a red headed stepchild.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Junior SCH Member
    Trust me, I know the heads will be the problem. I have no exact plans for heads at the moment. BUT, if the head gaskets go, the stock heads are not going back on! :D

I think I am probably gonna go along and grab the intake (not sure about the TB yet). Its pretty much my favorite intake based on looks, and will surely help me down the line. Thanks.
    BBK Ceramic coated shorties, Stainless H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, underdrive pullies, and 3:55 gears!

**89 LX 5.0**
    Vortech S-Trim with AFM Powerpipe, Pro-M with 36lb injectors, Kirban AFPR, FMS ceramic coated headers, Hedman Offroad H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 gears, and a few gauges!

**90 LX 2.3**

any plans for the 2.3.....maybe a sleeper turbo setup.i remember reading an article way back on a turbocharged fox bodied 2.3 that ran somewhere in the mid 11's.i know it's not the same seat of the pants torque as a V8 but i bet you he sent alot of unsuspecting street racers back to the drawing board.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by WOHORSY
    any plans for the 2.3.....maybe a sleeper turbo setup.i remember reading an article way back on a turbocharged fox bodied 2.3 that ran somewhere in the mid 11's.i know it's not the same seat of the pants torque as a V8 but i bet you he sent alot of unsuspecting street racers back to the drawing board.
    Ha, the only plan for the 2.3 is to pray to God she gets through the next winter. She has 165K miles, the tranny is starting to slip, the suspension is shot, she can't idle in park for more than 4 seconds without dying, etc, ETC!

**89 LX 5.0**

**90 LX 2.3**