Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
minor problem on install, help please

Thread: minor problem on install, help please

Senior SCH Member

minor problem on install, help please

ok everything is going smooth, get to the point of removing the factory bracket that holds the alt. and smog pump off, I got one bolt off, then go to the bolt thats close to the thermostat, the book says 1/2" nope, try 7/16" nope, go to 13mm and thats the best I can get, but the bolt wont budge. I tried hitting the factory bracket back and forth to see if that would loosen it, no dice, hope its not stripped on the head. I soaked it with wd-40, and will let it soak today, have to go to work soon. Any ideas guys? Everything else is going smooth except for that dam bolt
    Thanks, Greg

Not uncommon for bolts to freeze up. Keep putting the WD-40 to it. You may have to heat it to get it out. Sometimes even heating it with a propane torch will do the job. Just be cautious and don't get frustrated cause if it breaks it's gonna be a real ***** to get it out. It may not even be stuck in the head...it may be stuck in the bracket itself. Anytime steel and aluminium are mixed as is the case here with a steel bolt passing through the bracket, corrosion will form and can basically weld it in there. Try heating the bracket first.

Senior SCH Member
    well I tried to get the bolt off again, now the head of the bolt is stripped, what can I do to get it off?

I was just about to say...be sure you have the correct size socket on that bolt.

So now the head of the bolt is gone? There are a few things you can do. It is hard to say what to exactly do as I cannot see it.

I would grind off the rest of the head so it is really just a stud holding the bracket. Slide the bracket off the car and grab the bolt (or now stud) with a set of grips and twist it out.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    Ya, I had the right size wrench, the edges are rounded a little, now I cant get a grip, what can I use to grind the head off? its a tight space to get at the bolt

Could you get a set of Vice Grips in there to clamp on it?

Just to add a little... I don't know if you got this far, but in my kit I didn't have a bolt to use for the alternator. I had to use the factory bolt, and grind out the hole in the front plate that goes to the bracket to the block. I had to make the hole bigger to fit the bolt into. It's weird it was the write thread, but the hole wasn't big enough... Weird..
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

Senior SCH Member
    ya I tried the vice grips, not enough room to get a hold of it. A guy at work said that craftsmen makes a socket set with teeth in it, you hammer it on the bolt, and as you turn, the teeth dig into the head of the bolt, gonna go check and see if they have one, if so, that would be pretty slick. Thanks again for the help guys. Mheinjr, funny, I havent had my car on the road yet either, bought in May, and been working on it, glad I'm not the only one, getting itchy to drive the car though:D

take one size smaller 12 point metric or standard whichever works and beat it on with a hammer. and if you mess the socket up hope it's craftsman! LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Originally posted by mheinjr
    Could you get a set of Vice Grips in there to clamp on it?

Just to add a little... I don't know if you got this far, but in my kit I didn't have a bolt to use for the alternator. I had to use the factory bolt, and grind out the hole in the front plate that goes to the bracket to the block. I had to make the hole bigger to fit the bolt into. It's weird it was the write thread, but the hole wasn't big enough... Weird..
    My 2K kit was the exact same deal. I even had 6 extra bolts in my kit (no, I didn't miss anything;) )

Senior SCH Member
    tried that regattacoupe, didnt work, I went and bought those sockets, that is the cats ***, the bolt screached, I said beatch, your coming out, no problem, The sockets are called bolt out, 20 bucks for a set of 5, well worth the money, everyone should have these, I am so pumped, wish I didnt have to go to work, doh, work a little more on it tomorrow. Thanks again guys for all the tips, I really appreciate it
    Greg