Thread: Base Timing

Base Timing

Hello everyone, unfortunately the highest grade of gasoline that is available to me is 91 octane here in Colorado Springs. I have my initial timing (with the spout connector out) at 6. Or else the car will detonate like crazy. It will then run good all the way up to the rev limit (I accidentally found that out). I would like to run some sort of ignition boost control like the MSD BTM because I think I would benefit by running more base timing, but I don’t want to spend $400.00 on a complete ignition system, besides I don’t think at this point my stock ignition is inadequate because it don’t miss a lick with 7psi. Now MSD makes a ignition boost control for Vortech P/N 5A101-001: Ignition System Assembly, MSD Stand Alone, Fits 1986-1993 Ford 5.0 Mustang, but it costs like $250.00-$270.00. Summit Racing lists a MSD ignition boost control part number Summit part number MSD-5462 for $165.95 http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...5462&x=22&y=11 I think that this is the same thing as the Vortech/MSD one what do you guys think. What do you guys recommend that I use for ignition boost control? I am getting low on funding so a complete MSD BTM 6 is out of the picture.
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

yes, that will work great for your application, but 1st check out all the mustang site classifieds & also check ebay. theres a bunch out there you can get your hands on for 1/2 the price they are new. i picked up my vortech BTM used for $50! if you dont find anything then go for that MSD unit...........
    good luck,
    -justin

hey thanks Justin, I thought that It might work but I'll look around at some used ones first.
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

no problem jason.......let us know how you make out!

-justin

I wonder what makes you have to run such low timing????
    When I send my chip in for reburns I run 24 degrees spout out, full boost. I would think 10-12 minimum would be okay. Motors must just all be different. Could it be the altitude?????.... very interesting.
    And yes, you will definitely feel every little bit of timing. Supercharged cars LOVE it. :) I swear I can feel every degree change... I think you'll be driving a whole new car after running 6 degrees.

-Eric
    '91 Mustang GT/Saleen/Cobra R mut
    Novi 1000, GT-40X heads, GT-40 u/l intake, E-cam, 1.72 rr's, yadda yadda... and many other pointless-to-list mods.
    440 rwhp
    430 rwtq
    Pics (yes it actually works now, I'm slowly updating links for new server)

yes, its his location in colorado. much higher elevation. i hear that about advancing timing, truely awsome, but detramental to play with when not on a wideband. i run a BTM so im running 15*initial timing & pull 1* per lb of boost(7psi@6k). if you turn the dial while boosting you can feel the power drop off or come in stronger. timing is huge in force inducted applications......ill be dropping my initial to 12* when i put my 8" crank in this weekend & pull 1*(per lb.) out with the BTM. it will be pulling (possibly) over 10* of timing depending on my boost level after the crank install........gotta love BTM's!
    -justin

Yeah this car runs like a old sick dog right now even with 6-7psi I can barely feel the boost kick in its dissapointing, the timing is killing me. I would say at this point the supercharger gave me about 20-30HP, I am sick :(