Thread: Timing issues

Junior SCH Member

Timing issues

I recently purchased a P1SC 2 core kit for my 91 mustang. I have helped a couple people install superchargers now and i was shocked when reading the installation manual that procharger themselves say due to intercooling, stock timing should be fine.

I was going to go with a BTM to retard some spark up high, is it really needed? would it be safe just to go with it anyway? how do you guys run your ignition?
    91 el-ex

SCH Member
    helmsdini:
    You should have a BTM if you go over 8 pounds of boost, other wise you would have no problems, since the air temperature is what causes detonation, and below 8 psi you would only ave about 140 deg at the intake.
    take care and enjoy the boost!!!
    pablo

Senior SCH Member
    I just pulled a few degrees of timing at the distributor, you don't need a BTM at all. They do allow quite abit more timing because of the cool air, but for safety I still pull out a little bit.... I think I have my base timing at 7-8* with the spout out and its fine.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

You don't need a BTM... if you are going to run 9+, then you will need to either pull the spout out and leave timing to just the base, or retard the timing back with the distributor. Either way, you really should get your car tuned... the tuner will take care of all fuel/timing issues at that point anyway so you won't have any worries.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    Would i lose any down low if i didnt use a BTM? I know without any boost i could run more timing for a little better performance right off idle? I plan on starting at 9psi and then going to 12, but no more than that. im just wondering for the short time i will have it before i get it dyno tuned.

also, WA2FAST: I Have heard about the spout out deal before. Would this just keep the computer from advancing the timing, thus keeping base timing throughout the RPM range? If so it sounds like the way to go!
    91 el-ex

Yes, it just removes the computers control over timing... when you pull the spout, it remains at whatever timing you set as base throughout the entire RPM band.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net