Thread: Blowby :(

SCH Member

Blowby :(

My new shortblock, which only has about 5k miles on it has beginening to experiance alittle blowby today. At idle, it is experiancing alittle blowby comming out of the oil pour neck, with a hint of smoke at some times. My shortblock was built with the best of everything, and i had it tuned conservativly. Is this a sign of the rings going bad already?(speed pro moly rings). Thanks for your input.

Do you have anything done to vent the crankcase?

SCH Member
    Just the stock PCV system. If i hold my hand over the oil fill tube, i can feelpuffs of air comming out. This has NEVER happened before, nothing came out of there before. And my last motor did this too, and when i took that apart my rings were toast. Just alittle concerned thats all.

-Jim

Every blower motor I have seen has a little blow by. Mine does and I would not worry about it. Oil coming out of the breather is very common. Lots of users will have their dip-sticks come out, breather full of oil, ect...

I run two large -10 lines from my valve covers to a can just so I do not have the smoking and dripping onto my headers.

Ian

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    so this is pretty common on blower cars? i posted about a headgasket in the n1K forum, but now i think it's just a little blowby i am having. the smoke out the breather is just weird, didn't do it at first, but i guess maybe 15psi might aid that......
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

Yes very common..the more boost you have and the harder you push it the more it will smoke...

Ian

SCH Member
    smoke = bad, thats all i know. WHen i tore my last motor apart, my piiston skirts were cracked and the headgakets were both blown. Along with that, my rings were cracked and burnt to crisp. So that is what worries be this time. I spend like 4000 on this shortblock. :(

How much smoke are we talking about here? Like a small puff or is it pooring out from the breather?

Ian

SCH Member
    Maybe i was seeing things last time, either that or its not doing it anymore. I dont see smoke anymore, if i hover my hand over the fill neck i can feel air 'puffing' out.

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    mine is just little puffs, but i am tearing the motor down this winter, so i won't worry too much.
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

check your headgaskets b4 you make the call for a new motor......i blew a headgasket into the lifter valley that gave me blow by
    see this thread http://www.novipower.com/forums/show...&threadid=1588

good luck

Mike
    NEW BEST 9.66 @141.02 best mph 141.73 mph!
    AEM tuned by ME!

http://www.mikeymustang.com

SCH Member
    well i hope its the headgaskets, because ive got 4,000 in this shortblock. Only thing is, i have a stainless wire machined in my heads, so its unlikely that they blew out.