Thread: When is inter/after-cooler needed?

blown5oh

When is inter/after-cooler needed?

OK. I should be making 10-12 #'s of boost w/ my setup. I was wondering when you need an intercooler or aftercooler. I heard that it'll be fine, as long as it's got a good tune, but I just thought I'd ask.

Does it all depend on your local climate too?

Thanks.

An intercooler is not needed, but with an intercooler you can run more timing which will give you more power.

There are guys running 6lbs that use intercoolers all the way to renegade racers with 25lbs and no intercoolers. It depends on what your goals are for the car.

Ian

When you see 100 degree heat you cus at it daily... I can actually feel a huge difference when it gets hot. It's literally a different car. Can't run near the timing and it sucks. An intercooler would kick ***, assuming you have the cash to do it. Go for it if you can.

-Eric
    '91 Mustang GT/Saleen/Cobra R mut
    Novi 1000, GT-40X heads, GT-40 u/l intake, E-cam, 1.72 rr's, yadda yadda... and many other pointless-to-list mods.
    440 rwhp
    430 rwtq
    Pics (yes it actually works now, I'm slowly updating links for new server)

blown5oh
    Does Paxton make an inter/after-cooler? And how much do they run?

you may wanna check with morpheus performance. I bet Harold could make something for you if he hasn't already made a design.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D