Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Buiding cars in Canada costs too much $$$$$$$

Thread: Buiding cars in Canada costs too much $$$$$$$

Buiding cars in Canada costs too much $$$$$$$

No wonder hardly anybody goes to town with Mustangs in my area. It simply costs way too much cash for what the local vendors cost. I've purchased all my stuff stateside so far simply because even with exchange, taxes, duty and whatever else they throw in, it still comes out way cheaper. I did a little comparison shopping today by visiting one of the "cheaper" speed shops in my area. the US prices quoted are from Muscle Motors or Summit in some cases.

E303 cam $165 US.... here $394!!!
    Crane Gold roller rockers $249 US.... here $641!!!
    Crane billet timing set $99 US.... here $205!!!
    Autometer Boost gauge $43 US....here $102!!!
    Autometer Elec. Fuel press gauge $189 US....here $407!!!

Even with an exchange rate of $0.60 on the dollar for us Canadians, we're still getting hosed. My Novi 2000 would have cost me over $5000 Can before taxes if I bought it here and my AFR heads would have been $2800 after taxes. Safe to say I will still keep going to Muscle Motors and other US vendors for my parts if I want to have enough money to eat!!! (eBay is great too, I've bought a lot of my parts from there)

I know what you mean! I must drive to NY at least once a week to pick up parts for our cars. It saves me a ton of $$$ not only on the purchase price, but the taxes, and UPS fees.

Some vendors will not ship to Canada, thankfully Jack is not one of them ;)

Ian

I just ran my numbers through the calculator and according to my math Jack saved me $1300 Canadian on my stuff (Heads and Novi 2000) Can you say:santa:

Good stuff Glenn, it is always good to save some $$$

Ian

I have to agree here our wallets take a sh*t kickin when we buy our parts locally.

Jack has saved me some serious cash as well!

If it wasnt for deals like that I wouldnt have half the mods I do.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

SCH Member
    Same here. Being from Toronto,no way will i buy parts in Canada.
    Just to much $$$. I buy all my parts from the US and have them delivered to family and friends that live in the US,and just pick them up. No S&H,tax,duties this way. I saved about $2000(can) by purchasing my Novi2000 from the US.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

SCH Member

try building one in Guam..

.. i pieced mine together in Hawaii and that was pricey enough, but at least there was a little local support (though buying online is the only real way to go)..

..since I've been here on Guam, I'm glad I got my pieces before I came out here.. your best bet here is to USPS surface ship and wait 6-8 weeks- no consolation when your 90GT's fuel pump goes out stranding you in downtown Tumon Bay..

..'cos, here Mustangs and Camaros are "foreign cars.." ..in the worst sense. To add insult to injury, the ricer movement is strong. It's all about V-tech, not V-8 here. Shyte, I could build an Integra from scratch, just by walking around the corner.

The nice thing is that it does make these cars into somewhat of a novelty, there's only a handful of Mustangs around here and I've only seen 1 or 2 Fox GT convertibles. I get all kinds of people coming up to me about "the blown Mustang." Annoying is that I also attract ricers by the droves.