Thread: How much CFM do I need?

Junior SCH Member

How much CFM do I need?

Hello-

I am fruitlessly trying to decide what size supercharger I need. I am mainly looking at CFM, as that is the only number that doesnt depend on the engine (where boost is affected by multiple factors).

I have a 351C. I want between 5 and 7 PSI. What CFM do I need to do this? I am running around 325 flywheel horsepower right now. I am not building a race car. I want something that adds some good power (as low in the powerband as I can get it), runs relatively quiet, and its realtively maintenance free. I have been against external oil lines, but I think I am at the point where I will do it if it results in the best outcome.

This is going to a custom install. Dont be afraid to think outside the box :)

If you are looking for low RPM boost and the stealth then a roots type (kenne-Bell) blower is what you'd be looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 5150 LX
    If you are looking for low RPM boost and the stealth then a roots type (kenne-Bell) blower is what you'd be looking for.
    Have I mentioned that it is a carbureted application?

6-71
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by IcantDo55
    6-71
    Doesnt quite fit under the hood of a 1970 Mustang. Centrifugal is the only way to go at this point. Kinda like Shelby did it, ya know?

Any idea on what kind of CFM I need to get to 5-7 PSI?

Junior SCH Member
    If you don't like oil lines, you might try a Powerdyne like I have. You might have head of belt breakage issues, but that becomes a concern only when you really twist the thing. At your boost level, you should have no problems.
    1989 Notch
    Powerdyne blown

STOLEN
    1988 titanium GT
    10 second Novi 1000