Thread: header install now problems

header install now problems

actually bbk longtube 1 5/8, o/r h, flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber. i surge down until i hit 2600rpm. especially in higher gear... it bogs down low big time. i expected to lose a little bit because all of my mods aren't on just yet but dang!!! it seems like it is choking on something... please help me
    -troy
    93 black gt

Troy,

Did you change anything else?? Was your battery disconnected?

Ian

no battery was not disonnected..

do i need to do that to reset it or something???
    93 black gt

Yep that would be a quick thing to try for sure!

Ian

I'm going to guess vacume leak.
    90 strawberry coupe

there is oil everywhere... i think it is like brandon said..

must be a vaccuum leak. shoot... i don't know where though... maybe pcv again... i need a breather for my valve covers...
    -troy
    93 black gt

are you having any light pops or cackling on decel? that is a sure sign of a lean problem/vacuum leak.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

when it starts out it is like a sputtering...

definitely the check engine light comes on later when it is warmed up... but on cold start.... after a minute to run it runs like a champ.... then when the oil gets real heated i guess it starts running like crap there was oil coming out of my filter.. i don't have a breather for it...
    -troy
    93 black gt

Re: when it starts out it is like a sputtering...

Originally posted by ssj50driver
    definitely the check engine light comes on later when it is warmed up... but on cold start.... after a minute to run it runs like a champ.... then when the oil gets real heated i guess it starts running like crap there was oil coming out of my filter.. i don't have a breather for it...
    -troy
    Troy,
    I assume that everything ran fine till you put on the long tubes. If so and your computer is an A9L, there is a table for exhaust pulse delay and those parameters should be changed now that you switched from stock to long tubes. The EECs calculation using that table are off. That's may also be why you're getting the check engine light.
    Wayne
    Rio Red 94 GT :teeth:
    AFM Vortech S-Trim Stg I kit
    some bolt ons

See website for complete mod list: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT/waynes94gt.msnw :drool:

Unhappy how do i change my parameters anyone know...

i am sorry i don't know how to do that... please someone or wayne tell me... thankyou so much for all of your help.
    -troy
    93 black gt

Re: how do i change my parameters anyone know...

Originally posted by ssj50driver
    i am sorry i don't know how to do that... please someone or wayne tell me... thankyou so much for all of your help.
    -troy
    Troy,
    So if you're problems didn't start till the long tubes and that's the only thing changed (assumes all connections okay to O2 sensors, etc), the only way I know to is via an aftermarket chip or some other device that allows EEC tuning.
    I know this is one topic that's been discussed on the Tweecer forum quite often. Guys will make posts about changing to long tubes and car not running right. Then they'll get pointed to the Exhaust pulse delay function. I believe Walt Barnes made a post about some rough calculations and how to measure and determine what your new settings in that table should be but I don't remember for sure.
    I have shorties so it hasn't been an issue for me.
    Wayne
    some bolt ons

See website for complete mod list: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT/waynes94gt.msnw :drool:

thanx

i'll try to get something thanx again.
    -troy
    93 black gt

ummm, I've had long tube, and so has the other 3/4 of the mustang communtiy, and I know none have ever had to change computer stuff because of lt's. ? Not saying you are wrong wayne, but I don't think this is troy's problem.
    90 strawberry coupe

Long tubes issue only for 94/95s

Originally posted by UNTCHBL
    ummm, I've had long tube, and so has the other 3/4 of the mustang communtiy, and I know none have ever had to change computer stuff because of lt's. ? Not saying you are wrong wayne, but I don't think this is troy's problem.
    You're correct, I should have been more clear, the EEC IV strategy is much more sensitive in the 94/95s than 93 and below. Rough idle, poor mid/top end can be a result of exhaust pulse delay settings because of the way the program calculates load and adjusts accordingly.
    some bolt ons

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I'll wager it's the air plumbing &/or air diverter valve. An eec test should reveal stored codes for the air diverter valve malfunction or possibly O2 reading excessive lean or rich which indicates a diverter valve problem. Did you install extensions on the air hoses per BBK's instructions?
    Chris