Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCV hose ?

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 5150 LX
    I can see your point and it is well taken, but I have run a K&N breather on mine and it idled rock solid at about 900 RPMs, I also have seen in person numerous guys cars at the track and elsewhere use one & idle fine, there are several members here running one and idle fine.

The Novi 1000 kit includes a fitting, hose & filter to run from the oil filler neck to the shield that covers the air filter, this replaces the hose that goes to the throttle body, again this worked for me & idled fine but yet the design is still an open loop....

Just sharing my personal hand-on experiences.
    Yes, I have also seen what you have seen. Let me put it this way - my Mustang makes 900+ hp, idles at 700 RPM, and gets 18mpg. I have over 200 dyno runs tuning it. I tried everything. It worked best with the vent connected. On my Mustang I have fabricated sheetmetal valve coves and I went to the expense of welding in a -12 fitting and run a braided steel hose to another welded -12 connector on the back of the supercharger inlet pipe. It is worth the effort if you are interested in reaching peak performance -AND- drivability. You can have a car that runs perfectly well with it vented, but it will run better with it connected!

allthrottle, you can always leave the filter in place run it & if you have idle/driveability issues then tackle the additional plumbing and see if that takes care of the problems if they arise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks, that is the kind of answer that I'm looking for.

Thanks, Rusty

Senior SCH Member
    I belive that I'll just have to do a test and tune and a drive and tune to see any difference.

Thanks,Rusty

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by UNTCHBL
    then this sucks alot of unwanted crud from the valve cover! I don't want a fine mist of oil coming in through my blower.

Plus, the driveablity problems havn't been experienced by many that have done this.
    If you are happy with the way it is then leave it that way - a lot of people run with a vent. Unless you have extreme blowby you won't vent oil into your supercharger. Even if you did vent oil it would be worth it for the drivability improvement.

I can tell I hit a nerve here - all I can say is try it. The one problem you will find if you are venting it now is you will run a little leaner at idle when you connect it so you may have to bump base fuel pressure up a pound or two. Once you get that set I bet you notice your part throttle and off-idle is much improved. If I am wrong switch it back!

Originally posted by itlkick
    Yes, I have also seen what you have seen. Let me put it this way - my Mustang makes 900+ hp, idles at 700 RPM, and gets 18mpg. I have over 200 dyno runs tuning it. I tried everything. It worked best with the vent connected. On my Mustang I have fabricated sheetmetal valve coves and I went to the expense of welding in a -12 fitting and run a braided steel hose to another welded -12 connector on the back of the supercharger inlet pipe. It is worth the effort if you are interested in reaching peak performance -AND- drivability. You can have a car that runs perfectly well with it vented, but it will run better with it connected!
    Do you run any type of filter between the valvecover & s/c inlet?? I'm just curious as it seems as though a fair amount of oil mist would get sucked directly into the s/c.

Any pics of your set-up, I'd like to see what your set-up looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    I have a welded baffle in the valve cover that keeps the oil out - it works very well.

I don't have any exact pictures of the baffle but I have a bunch of pictures of my car at:

www.superstang.com

I just looked and there are not any good pictures or how I have it connected. I will try and fix that -

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for all of you guys help! I belive I'll try all the different ways you guys suggested, and I'll keep the one that I'm the most happiest with, this is the best site there is, and the best site with the best people provide the best info as possible.

Thanks again, Rusty

Senior SCH Member
    I want to correct something I said earlier -

If you are currently venting your valve cover and then connect it back to the inlet of your supercharger your car will run:

Richer: if your car does not have a lot of blowby (low mileage or good rings). The reason is at idle your PCV is sucking in air from the crankcase and with low blowby you are sucking the air back in through the breather. This air was not measured so fuel was not added. When you remove the breather and connect it to the inlet of the supercharger it will now be sucking in measured air so more fuel will be added.

Leaner: if your car has a lot of miles on it and you have a lot of blowby. The reason is your PCV probably can't keep up and the air that was exiting your breather is now being ingested back into the engine (not a bad thing by the way) and being re-consumed.

In ether case what is happening is what is supposed to happen.