Thread: Should I change the front seal?

Should I change the front seal?

Ok, as some of you know, I finally got that balancer off the car after it made me look like a bonehead. I cleaned up and painted my timing chain cover today, just waiting for it to dry to put it back on the car. Should I change out the front seal while I have the cover off? I was reading my Haynes manual and it shows how to get it out, and back on, but I don;t have a socket big enough to hammer the seal back in. Is there another way to do it, or do you think this one will be fine? I have about 80,000 miles on this rebuild.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

I would change it 100%.

I find when you do not change these little things they end up leaking a week later!

Ian

I agree with Ian as well, what's a couple of dollars vs. having to re-do all the labor. You can put a new seal in with a nice chuck of wood and a rubber mallet. Just coat the timing chain cover with a little oil prior to and evenly whack it in.

Another piece of advice is to buy a quality brand name seal. Some of those off brands you can get at the autoparts store are crap for quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Well I thought I messed it up when I was prying it out. It looked like I had bent the metal around the seal, turned out it was part of the seal. I completely forgot to put oil around the new seal when I hammered it in. I used a rubber mallet and a 2x4 to get it in there. It didn't go in evenly, but it looks like its fully seated now. Had problems getting the pan gasket to line up with the seal and the holes, so I cut the gasket off, and RTV'd it to the cover, then put it on the block. It was still a PIA but its on. I just need to make sure I have the bolts in the right spots. Throwing on my new Stewart waterpump while I am at it. I had one on there before, and the impellar decided to come off and chew up the inside of the housing, so needless to say, I am kind of leary about putting one on again. If all goes well, I should be able to fire it up tonight. All I have to do is throw the pump back on and the ps. Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how the rest of the day goes.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Angry

I swear this car hates me. I get the cover back on like I said in the last post. I go get a new t-stat cause the other one is looking a little worn. I get the t-stat and housing mounted, and start mounting the waterpump. I need a 5/8 socket so I go get one, and what do I see on my work bench.... the bolt and "bowl" looking thing for my timing chain. I can't believe this. All that work, and I have to rip it apart again. So I am just going to leave it be for now. I am not in the mood to mess with it. Maybe if its nice outside tomorrow I will attempt to work on it.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Your luck sounds a bit like mine, it's times like these when beer is your friend, lol.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Yeah I was reading about your oil pan. Sounds like our cars could be related. This is just amazing though. I guess its a good thing I found it now, and not after I started the car up. That doesn't make it feel any better though.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Well, I dropped the pan. Ran to town & more bolts. Put the pan back in place threw a half dozen bolts back in & then realized I forgot to try & remove the damn broken bolt. So off than pan has to come again!!

Joys of aftermarket :)

Junior SCH Member

Little bit of technical advice if I may

Although using wood to put bearings or bushings in does prevent damage, it also will sometimes splinter and ruin a seal. Go to the hardware store and buy a piece of sqaure stock brass. Softer than steal, and you don't have to worry about splinters, or the acids that wood is treated with.

My 2 Cents worth. Learn from others mistakes I always say.

JD

Thanks for the thought JD. I have to tear this cover back off, possibly tomorrow and take a look at the gaskets and the seal. If either look close to not being right, I will get a new set, and use your advice for the new seal. I am hoping everything looks ok though. I just can't get over the fact that I forgot that bolt!

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H
    Thanks for the thought JD. I have to tear this cover back off, possibly tomorrow and take a look at the gaskets and the seal. If either look close to not being right, I will get a new set, and use your advice for the new seal. I am hoping everything looks ok though. I just can't get over the fact that I forgot that bolt!

Chris
    I know what you mean! After installing my Supercharger you won't believe what a brain fart I had. The motor wouldn't crank over! Put the battery charger on it, and it showed battery was charged. Hmm. After investigating, I put the belt on wrong and it was actually overlapping onto itself on the water pump pulley! Now that was crazy! Talk about a Homer Simpson! DOH!

I use a piece of PCV pipe to put in seals if I dont have a socket large enough,, Bee

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee03
    I use a piece of PCV pipe to put in seals if I dont have a socket large enough,, Bee
    This is what I planned to do for the rear main, good to see someone has already used this method. The last thing I need is a broken piece of PVC in my block to match the broken off oil pan bolt :p

You know it never occured to me to use pvc. I have a 3" and a 4" piece here at the house. Chalk another one up for me on this project! :p You guys mind checking out my other post about the gasket for me!?! :D

Thanks

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!