Thread: v-2 and cold

Junior SCH Member

Unhappy v-2 and cold

I have a V-2 making 6lbs of boost on my jeep. Then last week the drive gear semingly snaped during a cold spell in Chicago. Anyone have this type of problem. BTW the unit has only been installed for three weeks. Most of which it was in the garage. :(

Senior SCH Member
    hello, welcome.

your saying the drive gear inside the unit snapped off ? how/why do you think/know this ?

reavis ?
    97 ex cab 3dr, black, stock 4.3, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC, A4

Senior SCH Member
    It should still be under warranty, unless the pulley was changed..

I saw a similar question reguarding all superchargers in the cold. Here is the reply from another site.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by midnightrider
    V1's & V2 kits r still being produced & available...The only caution ref cold(v1 or V2) is Vortech says never operate at full throttle when engine is cold. Also when starting your engine each day allow plenty of time for the oil to reach full operating temp b4 running above 2500 RPM..They further state that full operating temps is generally achieved after the engine water temp has been at the normal operating range for 2 or 3 mins...READ THE OWNERS MANUAL..hopefully this w/clear up the temp & chicken little approach(the sky is falling) to cool air/temps....Am no expert, but do this every day.....T-trim 93 hit it on the head, some folks have no clue....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, you beat me too it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could have been the possible cause of your problem. Hope this helps
    Last edited by frdfandc; 02-01-2004 at 03:32 PM.

SCH Member
    how cold was it?
    1969 Mustang coupe. 428 FE NOS 10.30 at 130 mph. 1991 LX hatch 302, GT40X ported,Trickflow street heat,E-cam 1.7's, GFORCE T-5. 31 spline with 3.73's. Vortech V2-SQ with AFM powerpipe.Snow Performance Boost Cooler. Daily Driver 11.41 at 124.00. Now a 331

Junior SCH Member
    Its been very cold ( high of 5 all last week). However, I always warmed up the engine b4 getting into any boost. The reason I think the drive gear that snapped is the pully/shaft spins and the fan does not. I just wish someone told me about the cold being a factor (if it ends up being that).
    Last edited by jamesshue; 02-01-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    hmmm. is there any noises when you turn the shaft ? now that i think about it = i wonder if the gear is spinning on the shaft. a broken part, shaft/gear, would make some noise. but a gear slipping on the shaft very well may not.

when you turn the pulley, holding the fan, does the pulley retainer bolt turn, is that bolt tight, maybe they forgot to put a key in there. does the fan turn at all ?

Junior SCH Member
    The pully is on with a key there is no noise when I turn the pully (by hand or by belt) The reason I checked it was no noise. No reason to be in boost in this weather and snow n ice. This is not my daily driver it wouldn't even have been out if it wasn't for a drunk hitting my grand cherokee.

Junior SCH Member
    fan doesn't turn at all

Senior SCH Member
    did you take the pulley off ? if its still under warranty, it won't be if you did, so i hear.
    looks like you need to send it back.

Junior SCH Member
    Plan on sending it tommorow never took the pully of but it didn't come with one either. I had to put it on myself. But that doesn't worry me I didn't go to law school for nothing ;)

Senior SCH Member
    did you buy the blower/kit from vortech or a distributor ? it didn't come with a pulley installed ???

Junior SCH Member
    Bought the blower from Vortech via Factor X engineering. Vortech set me the wrong one at first and sent me a second one w/o a pully. They then asked me to transfer the pully. I don't think there will be any issue there.

Senior SCH Member
    ok, i see, should be no problems, since they gave it to you with no pulley. mine had "glow in the dark" paint on the bolt that held the pulley on. take the bolt out = damage the paint = void warranty. or so i was told. good luck