Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Blower users + oil

Thread: Blower users + oil

Blower users + oil

Like the title says, what do the blowers guys use for oil in their cars? What about oil change intervals?

I was pondering this because I am new to the blower realm of the Mustang camp. I have personally, and painfully, experienced how hot the headunits can get. Having to lubricate the gearing of a blower headunit on top of regular enigine duty has to put more strain on the oil. Is this problem adressed with increased oil change frequency or possibly stepping up to a synthetic blend/full synthetic oil?

I'd hate to shorten the life of my blower because I used conventional oil change methods on a supercharged car.

I was wondering this myself the other day.
    subscribing!

I run full sythetic oil and I change mine after about 1200-1500 miles or 50 passes. Actually if it even takes on a different color i usually change it. I'm pretty fanatical about that though. I have no rhyme or reason for this other than it's piece of mind and new oil is always better. Now my truck is a different story! LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

I will run Mobil1 15w50 synthetic in my ride once the break-in on the new engine is complete and change it every 5000km's. I've used Mobil 1 in all my cars for years and have zero complaints. Normally in my regular cars I'll leave it in for 10,000 kms but change the filter at 5000km's but the hot rod gets special treatment.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with using conventional oil if you want, just be sure to do an oil and filter change every 3000 miles and you'll be fine.

I used to use the regular 10w30 Mobil one in the Mustang until I saw a buddy adding Valvoline VR1 which is a 20w50 and saw how thick that stuff is. I figured the thicker oil wouldn't hurt with lubrication out here when its 100*+ in the summer time. Neither one of us have had problems, and he's running a Powerdyne.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Junior SCH Member

Mobile 1 Syn...all the way!

I have been running Mobile 1 for a long time now, and it does the job for me.
    As with any oil, regardless of supercharger, it all depends on how you drive it. I have people tell me they don't want to spend so much money for Synthetic, and I always ask them how much money they have in their motor. To keep my motor running strong, I would rather spend the extra now!
    My .02 worth.

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    I use Mobil 1 synthetic and I change my oil every 2 months, My car doesn't accumilate hardly any miles.
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

SCH Member
    4quarts of conventional 10w40 valvoline and 1qt lucas additive here.

Quote Originally Posted by frank woodall
    I use Mobil 1 synthetic and I change my oil every 2 months, My car doesn't accumilate hardly any miles.
    s/c 331

Well, here's my screwed up two cents worth. I use valvoline 10w-30 or 5w-30 depending on the weather here. I use straight oil. None of that fancy crap. If you're changing it every 2500-3000 miles you don't need synthetic crap. I always make sure I fill up the oil filter when I put a new one in. It takes a few extra minues and you drip oil quite a bit but you also don't have zero oil pressure for a few seconds when you first start it up. May sound stupid but I think it's important.
    92 Stang LX 5-spd
    Novi1K(old), Cobra Intake, 70mm TB, 90mm MAF, 1.7rr, E-303, GT-40 heads, 30#, 190 lph, Crane Hi-6, FRPP ceramic headers, Summit H-pipe, Edelbrock RPM cat back, 3.73, MAC springs 2" drop, Megabite Jr's, F-150 crank pulley, 2.75" blower pulley, Morpheus pipe, Fidanza AFW, McLeod kevlar clutch, lots of shiny pointless stuff.
    (BlueRevenge on Stangnet forums)
    12.2 @ 114 mph (everyday street tires a few mods ago)

I always used Castrol Syntec (synthetic) 10W30. The car barely sees enough miles in a season for even 1 oil change so I figure I can spend the extra $. Last year tried some Royal Purple 10W30 just for a change. This year I was thinking of running a 5W30 (probably Redline synthetic) with the new blower??
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.