Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How long will a blower take to seize from lack of oil?

Thread: How long will a blower take to seize from lack of oil?

Junior SCH Member

How long will a blower take to seize from lack of oil?

I was just wondering how long a Vortech could go without oil? I have an oil pressure gauge and it reads fine, but when I turn off the car it sounds like metal on metal and it didnt do that before. If my oil gauge is working my blower is getting lubricated right? I have some leaking from the fittings, and maybe its lacking oil. Let me know guys

SCH Member

oil problem

yo; just take off the oil return line and see if oil flows out thats a pretty good indication that oil is flowing threw the unit,as for how long well the gears in the head unit are hardened materails its the bearings you should be concerned about but i'm sure you didn't hurt the unit if in doubt sent it back to vortech for refreshing.

If you have the "filter" fitting going into the SC, with the nozzle going in to spray the gears,, make sure that it is not plugged.. Bee

Junior SCH Member
    Its not plugged because yesterday I took it out, and blew through it with my mouth and it went through fine. Although the truth is the filter looks clogged, and as if its really not doing anything. Can I take it out to clean or something?

I also removed the whole blower and when I took the oil drain hose oil did drain out. So I guess it is flowing through blower.

Junior SCH Member
    Here is a pick of the filter inside the nozzle. How does it look?

What are any other possible places a Vortech could leak from?

SCH Member

Talking re leak

yo; the filter screen look okay vortech does this to stop fine particals from pluging the oil feed as for the leak check all other drain plugs as they are not tighten from vortech.

Dont pull the screen out!!, its a ***** to get back in,, it is pressed into a machined groove at the bottom of the fitting,, I just spray lots of brake cleaner in mine to flush it out,,, Bee

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply guys. Ill do what bumblebee suggested and spray it with brake cleaner.

Talking

I saw a guy once that had an inline filter on the line and I thought it was a good idea. Anyone ever seen it? It was like 4" long and went between the oil line and blower. It was Blue.
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

Could of been one of those small inline fuel filters that are used on carburators.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Could of been one of those small inline fuel filters that are used on carburators.
    Hey Hot ford Hit me up on my email address at greenstang50@yahoo.com I cannot send you pms for some reason.. i am interested in your pullies...
    Nate

Here is the oil filter Vortech sells:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/misc.html
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX