Thread: Novi 1000 kit question

Junior SCH Member

Question Novi 1000 kit question

What does it mean when it says the kit is Non Tuned Only?

Thanks.
    Black '02 GT
    - Only suspension mods :o

It usually means that it does not include any required fuel upgrades, spark upgrades, or a tuned chip for the combination. All of that is left up to the end user. It really is a good option for those that know how to set it up and tune. Usually if it is a "tuned" kit, it's the least expensive route to make the kit work (which is understandable) but may not be the most efficient set-up.

Hope that helps.
    ChromeYellow 98 Cobra Novi1000 - Street Machine

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks.
    Black '02 GT

I would contact the person/company that advertised the s/c as a "Non Tuned" kit and ask them specifically what is and is not included with the kit, ask them to provide you with a parts list and then come back here and we can advise you from that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    Since the "Non Tuned" kits are the responsibilty of the end user. I'm not in that league :D

Another question, theres also supercharger tuning kits. They're almost as expensive as the supercharger kits. Are those the stuff for the "Non Tuned" kits?

Thanks for the replies.
    Black '02 GT

Ok, I have to ask...Where are you seeing these advertised as such?? I just have not run across the particular terminology used and it wouild be easy for a buyer to get confused on what they need or do not need.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

5150 LX,
    The Novi 2000 kit for the 98 Cobra is listed as a "non-tuned" kit on superchargersonline.com. I actually can't believe it is still a "non-tuned" only kit. I figured they offered a "non-tuned" kit to have the offering on the market quicker without having to spend the time putting together a tuned kit. But, I also figured they'd eventually offer a tuned kit. Guess the market didn't warrant it. Two years ago, I bought the Novi 1000 because it was a complete kit. I knew very little about setting up a supercharged car, so I wanted a "complete" bolt-on kit.

Now that I've had the experience installing the Novi 1000, blowing up the engine, rebuilding the engine, and upgrading misc areas, I can see the advatages of a "non-tuned" kit for someone that knows what needs to be upgraded and knows of a good tuner. I'd probably end up going that route in the future. That way, I can decide on the best fuel system, ignition control, and tune. Plus, people have different preferences on how they want to do those things.

Anyway, that's my take on the issue. BTW, that looks like one sweet LX you have there. I'd like to see that thing run someday.
    Last edited by NoviCobra; 02-12-2004 at 06:50 PM.
    ChromeYellow 98 Cobra Novi1000 - Street Machine

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Ok, I have to ask...Where are you seeing these advertised as such?? I just have not run across the particular terminology used and it wouild be easy for a buyer to get confused on what they need or do not need.

Non Tuned

Tuner Kit
    Black '02 GT

NoviCobra- I got it now. You mod motor guys have it rough, especially with the price I think I paid around $1400 shipped for my 1000. Anyways, I agree with you in that a "non-tuned" or "tuner" kit is the way to go. Most the time the h/p bug hits and all that extra stuff you guys would have paid for would have to be upgraded anyways.

Wastegas- are you planning on having a shop install the s/c?? If so, I would buy the "non-tuned" kit and upgrade the necessary stock compenents, then let the shop instal & tune for driveability.

Junior SCH Member
    5150 LX:
    Yes, I'll have a shop do the install (if I can find one). The components will remain stock so I might go with the "Tuned" kit instead. I'm not planning to hit the tracks with this car.
    Black '02 GT

Quote Originally Posted by WasteGas
    5150 LX:
    Yes, I'll have a shop do the install (if I can find one). The components will remain stock so I might go with the "Tuned" kit instead. I'm not planning to hit the tracks with this car.
    Careful then Boost is addictive as Crack :D Before you know it you'll be want to push a few more #'s, then one thing leads to another, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 LX
    Careful then Boost is addictive as Crack :D Before you know it you'll be want to push a few more #'s, then one thing leads to another, lol.
    I can vouch for that. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the brackets & blower from the factory and then buy injectors, powerpipe, etc. on my own. you're going to eventually end up with the works, believe me. It's all fun though!
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000