Thread: FIRST TEST DRIVE NOT PRETTY!!!

Junior SCH Member

FIRST TEST DRIVE NOT PRETTY!!!

OK guys here's the scoop.......First test since install........
    Old man winter let up enough for me to take the snake for a cruise. It drove fine to the gas station. I shut it off, pumped gas, and started it. She idled up perfect then the motor just stalled. Drove about a mile, and she died at every light. I pulled over shut her (BEO**) off checked my air intake lines, checked for fuel leaks, all looks OK! Started her back up, she was loaping like she had a big cam. Stopped at a light, she idled fine. Idled good at every stop back to the house?

My take.....
    Normally I would suspect vacum, or air filter dirty. Could the K&N air filter have to much oil on it from Paxton? Since the Supercharger is now forcing air in, would this even happen now? I definently need to get a fuel pressure gauge on her too! When I did get on it and let off she crackled pretty good.

Could it also be that since I disconnect the battery during winter that the computer needs time for the motor to run a bit before it dials itself in?

Come on guys.......feed me!!! I like advice as much as I like helping! Two heads are better than one.(Especially the head on this set of shoulders)

Junior SCH Member
    as far as i know, with the newer stangs, if you disconnect the computer for a long period of time, it does indeed need to re-learn everything.

Hehe, another yellow 98 Cobra with a Novi 1000. :D

I don't know anything about your setup. Did you use the complete Paxton supplied kit? If there is a thread somewhere about your car, just let me know.

The computer shouldn't really need to re-learn that long. If the tune is right, it should run right from the get-go. It almost sounds like the MAF curve or the fuel tables are off. The crackling on decel is a sign of being too rich. What kind of tune are you using?

Too much oil from the K&N can muck up the MAF sensor, but I wouldn't think that would happen that quickly.
    ChromeYellow 98 Cobra Novi1000 - Street Machine

Junior SCH Member

Oh Ya! Yellow, so they can see me coming..hehe

[QUOTE=NoviCobra]Hehe, another yellow 98 Cobra with a Novi 1000. :D
    QUOTE]
    I'm working on someplace to keep pic's, I'll let you know when I get it.

As far as setup on my ride.....not much. I did the modify on the stock mass air tube (http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm). K&N filter, catback flow masters. That was it.
    Then I installed the Novi complete Kit. Sent in my pcm (ecm) and let them install the chip.
    I did the recommended spark plug change and gapped them at .025
    I tend to agree with you about running to rich, for the following reason, since you mentioned a rich condition. When I first fired it up in the garage, it was smoking at idle for about a 30-60 sec....which it had never done before!

So how about you? What set-up do you have?

Then I installed the Novi complete Kit. Sent in my pcm (ecm) and let them install the chip.
    I did the recommended spark plug change and gapped them at .025

you should probably try the plugs A .035-.032
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by bmf_veteran
    So how about you? What set-up do you have?
    My current engine configuration consists of the following:

Forged bottem end w/9.3:1 compression
    Ported and polished heads w/Ferrea valves
    Stock intake (I plan to modify it soon)
    Novi1000 w/ Anderson Power-pipe
    Lightning 90mm MAF
    42lb injectors (no more FMU)
    255 in-tank pump (no inline)
    JBA shorty headers
    BBK catted H-pipe
    Flowmaster mufflers welded into factory cat-back
    MSD DIS-4 ignition

That combination made 472rwhp at 6200rpm over a year ago. We could only go to 6200 because the fuel system couldn't keep up beyond that. Since then I have added a KB boost-a-pump and modified the fuel pump bucket (inside the tank) to keep plenty of fuel to the pump. Now I can run it on up to 7500, but I've never re-dynoed.

Junior SCH Member
    NoviCobra.....Nice set up. Talk about setting up for future mods..whew!
    90mm MAF...42 Lb injectors! Talk about feeding the beast! Plenty of snake venom there! You really do need to get that intake updated. Looks to me like that is your weak spot, if you have one...hehehe

regattacoupe....I planned on waiting until I can take the car out for at least a 5 miles cruise and bring it home then determine if I am running to rich. If so then I probably will gap the plugs bigger as you suggest.

I wish winter would hurry up and DIE!!

I went and bought myself a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge today. Where is the best place on the motor to install these. Looks like I am going to have to come up with a T-Adapter off the bleeder on the fuel rail. They say you should run the fuel gauge outside of car (good idea, but where?).
    I have been away from hot rods way to long. The 70's were a different breed than todays high tech beasts! Prices are crazy too!
    Like they say, "The only difference in a man and a boy is the price of his toys".

Anyone have boost or fuel gauges and pic's?

I think I am going to work on getting a page set up to store my pictures right now. I am such a Procrastinator!

Thanks for the info and advise, I am sure I'll have the snake dialed in by summer.
    OH!!! Does anyone elses hood hit the intake tube to the supercharger? (the hard plastic that goes over the radiator hose)I have the son of gun practically hitting the radiator hose.

NoviCobra.....Nice set up. Talk about setting up for future mods..whew!
    90mm MAF...42 Lb injectors! Talk about feeding the beast! Plenty of snake venom there!
    Actually, that combination is just right since I'm not using an FMU. I wanted to get away from the FMU to get rid of the mid-rpm lean tip-in that is an issue with FMU's. Plus, I read many people using the 90mm MAF/42lb injectors with great success. Drivability is awesome!

OH!!! Does anyone elses hood hit the intake tube to the supercharger? (the hard plastic that goes over the radiator hose)I have the son of gun practically hitting the radiator hose.
    I don't remember mine hitting the hood. It may have. I have even more of an issue with that now since I have a power pipe. I had to remove the hood pad, trim the hood support slightly, then re-install the hood pad. Now the pad just compresses into that trimmed area with the hood closed.

Good luck man!!
    Randall

If you are using the tune that came from Paxton it will be very rich. I would recommend a dyno tune. Worth every penny.

I have a write up on the boost and fuel gauge setup. It's on my home email. If you want to post your email or pm me, I will forward this to you.
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000