Thread: Alternator options. What should I buy?

Alternator options. What should I buy?

I need a big amp alternator. I'm way tired of my car only charging at highway speeds. In fact it's so bad right now that I worry about it staying running when I have the lights and electric fan on. I can only imagine what would happen if I threw a big fuel pump in the mix. So aside from doing a 3g upgrade kinda deal, what company makes a good high amp alternator? As you guy's know I'm not afraid of a little wire splicing or such. I'm looking for something that will give me peace of mind with my charging system. Damn I seem long winded sometimes. LOL

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

I actually bought my 130 from this company on EBAY:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1876287875

I am very happy with it, charges perfectly!

We use a PA Performance alternator on the 383, works great, but will cost you about twice as much.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    www.mralternator.com is where I got mine. It has survived numerous 6500 rpm blasts down the track. A friend of mine bought a $400 chrome alternator and one 7000rpm trip and it caught fire. It was only a 2g style though.

I use a PA performance 3G alternator and haven't had a single problem with it thus far.

Junior SCH Member
    I am running the anderson 160 amp alternator. I use a spal fan, twin t-rex fuel system, autometer gauges. The amp gauge stay's in the middle all the time with lights, fan, pumps gauges, windows being rolled down, and heater working!>