Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
belt rubbing

Thread: belt rubbing

SCH Member

belt rubbing

Ok guys have any of you had this problem? I had my blower put on and after driving it for about 50 miles i noticed a lot of belt residue in the engine conpartment so i started looking for what was rubbing the belt. When i looked it appearead that the water pump pulley was not running true so i thought that maybe the water pump was about to go out so i took it to the shop. Well the mechanic looked at it and found that the pulleys were not lined up and it was causing the belt to ride up on the lip of the water pump pulley. It turned out that the crank pulley needed a spacer behind it to make it line up with the other pulleys. Did anyone else have to put a spacer behind there crank pulley. Well while the crank pulley was off i decided to have he renegade crank pulley put on. After it was put on the car was taken for a test drive and all was well. After i drove it the second time i popped the hood while the car was running and now the crank pulley is not running true. The mechanic told me that since I put the larger Crank pulley on the car that there is more stress on the harmonic balancer so i now need a new harmonic balancer so everthing will run true again. Is this true? Has anyone else had similar problems?
    93 5.0 LX Silver Coupe w/ chorme pony's on nitto drag radials. Mods: NOVI 1000, 8"crank, Performer Inake, 70mm TB, 75mm PRO-M, 24lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, adj. fuel pressure regulator, eql headers, off road H-pipe, flowmasters, 373 gear, electric Fan, ect. Stock Long Block.
    http://www.partyclemson.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=25599&photo=37926

1st Question, how well do you know this "mechanic"??? Sounds a bit fishy to me. Double check the bolts that mount the pulley to the balancer and the balancer to the crank, they only way that the alignment could have changed is if one of these two or both have come loose and allowed the balancer/pulley to move and throw off the alignment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    I have been going to the same mechanic for almost 2 years. He seems ok and has alway given me a better price than the other shops around where i live. I am new at this blower stuff and dont really know a lot about it. pretty much everything i know i have learned from this site. you guys are a big help. Its just ever since i had the supercharger put on i cant keep it out of the shop. Stuff just keeps breaking. He told me he would not charge me to put the balancer on (since he has made so much $ off me lately) and i never buy my parts from him so he is not going to make any money off this. I just wanted to know if any one else has had belt rubbing problems b/c the pulleys didn't line up and if the larger crank pulley caused there harmonic balancer to "wobble"?
    93 5.0 LX Silver Coupe w/ chorme pony's on nitto drag radials. Mods: NOVI 1000, 8"crank, Performer Inake, 70mm TB, 75mm PRO-M, 24lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, adj. fuel pressure regulator, eql headers, off road H-pipe, flowmasters, 373 gear, electric Fan, ect. Stock Long Block.
    http://www.partyclemson.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=25599&photo=37926

I experienced a similar issue when running the f150 crank pulley and cobra water pump pulley.

If you are running the cobra water pump pulley... my remedy was to revert back to the STOCK water pump pulley. Never threw a belt after I did that. It appeared that the cobra water pump pulley and f150 crank pulley did not line up perfectly on my application. Some have experienced that same problem, some haven't.

If you are in the same boat as I was, just switch back to the stock water pump pulley and give her a GO! ALSO REMEMBER that you MUST GET THE CORRECT belt size! When choosing a belt size take into consideration of how long the belt will be after its breaking in / stretch period.

-Chris
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

if i remember correctly i had a belt issue and it was because the accesory tensioner was not aligned and it needed shimmed. If there was a problem with the crank pulley or balancer it would be wearing both belts funny. Possibly tossing the blower belt at high rpm. i doubt thats the problem but you never know. I didn't need need a shim for my 8" renegade pulley, and we've never had anyone on the site here thats needed one to my knowledge.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D