Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
? about o2 sensors

Thread: ? about o2 sensors

Senior SCH Member

? about o2 sensors

took my o2 sensors out tonight to check them out. they both were all fouled up looking. i used a benzo torch to see what they were reading and one of them is not reading at all. will this affect my fuel mileage or should the computer just take the readings from the one that is working? it should have set a code no matter what though, right?

I'm surprised it hasn't affected driveability as these are one of the most important sensors in the whole EEC system. If one's not working I would replace both of them as it's generally best to replace them as a pair. A lot of people forget that these things do wear out and are actually a scheduled maintanence item. I'm not exactly sure on the time table Ford has them on, but I think it's around 50,000 miles. Might be less. My brother had one go on his Mustang when it had only 30,000 miles on it and it didn't throw up a code either. We only knew because his vehicle has a Crane Interceptor which has an 02 monitor in it's display that indicates the reading. The left side monitor never changed after it failed (always read rich) plus it developed some driveability issues as well.

Senior SCH Member
    there hasn't been any drivability probelms, just bad gas mileage. thanks for the input.

Senior SCH Member
    got my o2 sensors put it. man i wished i had started with them to begin with in trying to find out what was hurting my m.p.g. before i would only get about 30-35 miles and the needle would start to fall off of the full mark, right now i'm at 30 miles and it is still up where i filled it up. hopefully be back in the 20 some mpg's now instead of around 12-15. still don't understand why it didn't set a code for a bad o2 sensor though. thinking about hooking up a 3 way switch to my air/fuel meter to be able to monitor both 02 sensors now instead of just the drivers side.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    EEC will work with only one sensor functioning properly, but chances are good yours already had one foot in the grave.

O2 sensors usually don't have a good/bad failure mode, they just switch slower and slower. A slow O2 sensor might not trip a code but as you found out the motor will not run up to snuff if the sensors are switching slowly. The EEC is biased to the rich side of stoich, once they start to slow down it will stay rich.

Service interval is normally @ 50k but in a performance application, or making mostly cold-engined short hops, can be very hard on them.

Another item that can cause poor mileage is a too cold thermostat or a stuck open thermostat.

Senior SCH Member
    it wasn't just slow it was dead. it would not put off any voltage at all. the new o2 sensors seem to have helped my mpg's some. i'm almost on a hlaf and i'm at 98 miles. i'll see what it ends up being when i fill it up. usually i would get around 102 miles on a half, this time i should be arounf 120 hopefully, ill find out in the morning when i go home from work. the thermostat is my next thing to do to solve my fuel mileage problem. i have a 180 in there now, think i'm going to put the 195 back in it or at least try another 180 first. anyone know how long it takes the computer to get out of cold start mode? does it actually look at the coolant temp. or does it wait for a period of time?