Thread: Second dyno run with 42s and chip...

Second dyno run with 42s and chip...

Finally got the car dyno tuned with the 42 lb injectors, no FMU, no BTM and a JMS/Superchip Custom at Johnson Motorsports in Mobile, Alabama. On the first "full" pull, the car made over 500rwhp on the Mustang Dyno (not a DynoJet) at 12:1 air fuel. After backing it down to a roadrace friendly 11.5:1 it made right at 450rwhp with 400 lb-ft of torque from 3600rpm and up. I lost count of the dyno runs after 10 but attached is the last run we made of the day -- only pulled it up to 5500rpm and still made 431rwhp.

But the best part is the idle and drivablity. After a test drive down the road the engine stumbled a bit during throttle tip in. A few more chip changes fixed it right up. Now this blown B303 cammed engine can cruise down the road at 1600rpm in 5th gear with not so much a buck or a twitch. The warm and cold idle are rock solid at 950rpm and the driveablitily is outstanding. And since the chip can be loaded with multiple programs the flip of a tiny switch provides a race gas program with 1% less fuel and 2 degrees more timing at 11.65 air fuel. Since I roadrace, the programs pull 2 degrees of timing when the Air Charge Temp sensor reads 220 degrees.

Many thanks to all who steered me away from the 24 lb injectors with the FMU and pushed the 42s and a chip tune. Now I can really start to enjoy this blower without worry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

Senior SCH Member
    nice #'s man, I'm glad I got away from the FMU myself ;) I just need to dyno
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

Congrats and lookin good!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    did you have the dyno tune, then send it to jms, or was it all done on a dyno? cant find a dyno tune arround my area
    93 Black coupe, JE Pistons, Cut and Polished Crank 10/10 Bearings, Ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 42lb Injectors, Pro M 80mm Mass Air
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, Holley Systemax Intake, BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 130 amp alternator
    1.7 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers, Ford Motorsport E303 Cam,Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, MSD 6AL Ignition- MSD 6BTM Boost Retard
    MSD Coil 90/10 Front Shocks,
    50/50 Rear Shocks, 3.55 Gears,
    BBK Long Tube Headers, SouthSide Machine Lift Bars, Sub Frame Connectors, Built T-5 with Cobra Gearset 3:35, 255lph Fuel Pump
    T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Vortech S trim Supercharger,Vortech Aftercooler, Flowmaster CatBack Exhaust, Optima battery relocated
    Corbeau CR1 Racing Seats Cervini Cowl/Ram Air hood ,17" Cobra R wheels

The dyno tune and chip were done at the same time at JMS. I towed the car 5 hours one way to get to JMS -- 5 hours at JMS -- and then 5 hours home. It was a long but rewarding day.

Go to Superchips Custom website http://www.superchipscustom.com/index.php and look in the bottom right hand corner of the page for dealer info. There are already many of them around the country doing superchip custom dyno tunes. I'm told superchip custom is a joint venture between JMS and superchips -- and they are licensing the chip and software to dealers around the county. Just check their references to be sure they are reputable and experienced.
    Last edited by IPPO; 09-26-2004 at 07:40 PM.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX