Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Modified PVC system (5.0 Ford)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified PVC system (5.0 Ford)

Cool Modified PCV system (5.0 Ford)

I've been putting this job off for awhile now but finally got it done today.

Like most people I did the breather cap thing to allow any excess blow-by to just vent to atmosphere. This causes two problems...the most known of which is unmetered air entering the engine which leads to such things as idle issues and off/light throttle lean pops through the exhaust. The other problem is smog issues. Here where I live, having in improper PCV system (ex.using a breather cap) can land you a $300 fine so I was never comfortable using it. Taking a tip from Pro-M's tech section I went about modifying the PCV system so it would function as Ford intended. Here is the tech from the Pro-M site:

"Throw away any breather to the crankcase that does not connect to the downstream side of the Pro-M meter. If you have a turbo or Super-charged system the crankcase vent must be enlarged (5/8 inches to ¾ inches) and again plumbed between the Pro-M and the inlet of the super-charger/turbo."

I decided to go 3/4" to allow ample volume to deal with any blow-by and then made myself a 3/4" elbow out of some steel tubing which I mig welded to the side of the fill tube on the valve cover. I then made a hole in my power pipe to install a grommet and 3/4" 90* elbow I picked up at the auto parts store and then connected the two with a section of hose. Also in my PCV system I run a Tbird Turbo Coupe PCV valve that has a rubber lined orfice that seals shut whenever boost is present. I haven't tested the car yet but I don't forsee any problems other than the possibilty of oil collecting in the hose and entering the power-pipe. I plan to monitor the system closely and if that ends up being the case I'll fab up a catch can system. At least I won't have to worry about the smog cops anymore.

Last edited by TheHawk05; 04-27-2004 at 01:55 PM.

off topic question but what kind of power pipe do you have?
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

AFM

I did something similiar Hawk, although my tubing is only 3/8". I also installed a filter between the v/c and the power-pipe, hopefully it'll catch any oil that makes it by the breather and keep it outta the s/c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    I did something similar. PCV to catch can to S/C housing inlet. It works. Serves dual purpose, gets rid of the oily sludge from the PCV and cools the air (not alot but somewhat).

SCH Member
    Looks good. I think I am going to do something similar, except I plan on putting a filter inline there so it will catch any oil (hopefully).
    1989 LX Coupe
    Novi 1000, FMS/Bosch 42#'s, GT40 irons, GT40 intake, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 65mm T/B, 1.7 rockers, stock cam, MAC longtubes, MAC prochamber, flowmasters welded in stock pipes, T5z, 3.73 gears.

Best ET: 12.55
    Best MPH: 115.2

hmmm, very nice glenn! me thinks to self! :D
    90 strawberry coupe

SCH Member
    Here's what I did last night. I just have it in my head that I don't want any unmetered air, so I rigged this up:

I know it is not as big of a hose as Pro-M recommends, but I am going to try it for a bit. I will check in a few days if there is any oil in the inlet.
    1989 LX Coupe
    Novi 1000, FMS/Bosch 42#'s, GT40 irons, GT40 intake, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 65mm T/B, 1.7 rockers, stock cam, MAC longtubes, MAC prochamber, flowmasters welded in stock pipes, T5z, 3.73 gears.

Where did you pick up that filter???
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

SCH Member
    At work in the HELP! section. It is a Motormite part # 80195. I work at Car Quest, but any parts store should have it.
    1989 LX Coupe

Nice set up guys.... Hawk keep us updated on whether you need the catch can or if it works ok like that, I may copy your design in the future ;).
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

If I can get off my lazy butt, I'll snap a pic or two of my set-up...

Quote Originally Posted by sinner
    Nice set up guys.... Hawk keep us updated on whether you need the catch can or if it works ok like that, I may copy your design in the future ;).
    Works well but I need a catch can as a film of oil is forming already on the inside of the hose. I've put my breather cap back on in the meantime until I fab something new. I should have something ready by next week. I get oil slinging up the fill tube as I don't have a baffle in the valve cover anymore due to my big *** rockers.

SCH Member
    I had mine apart today, and I can report that there is zero oil residue in the blower inlet tube. Granted, I have a smaller tube than Hawk, but I have not had any issues using my setup so far.

Senior SCH Member
    I've been running a setup similar to this for about 3 months and 0 issues. The vent tube on my oil filler tube goes into the blower inlet via my bypass valve return tube. Then my PCV is separated and has a check valve in place so that I won't boost the crankcase, and under boost, the blower pulls in crankcase air from the oil filler tube vent. I haven't had a problem with oil in the inlet, and everything has been working good since day one.
    NOVI 1000 power.

Proud customer of http://www.speedconcepts.net