Thread: fuel pressure problem

Senior SCH Member

fuel pressure problem

i justput one of those small autometer fuel pressure gauges on the input side of my fmu. i am reading a low 30 psi when idling and when i gasit up it drops to around 20. i tried pulling the vacuum lines on the fmu and fuel pressure regulator and it didnt seem to change the situation. i also tried pinching the return line to the fuel tank after the fmu and the fuel pressure shot up immediatly. i have a 255lph fuel pump and 24# injectors.

any ideas?

Do you have an adjustable regulator??
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    no its just a plain regulator, i think its stock.

we are thinking its the placement of the pressure gauge as of right now, but i dont have a schrader valve on my fuel rail (or its hiding really really damn good. which i doubt) so i am stumped on how to tap in the fuel line.

My bet it's the regulator, not the gauge. You really should have an adjustable reg.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Senior SCH Member
    the gauge is installed after the fuel pressure regualtor, shouldnt it be installed before it?

if i unplug the vacuum line from the regulator it was my understanding that you should get as much fuel pressure as your pump is pushing out. my fuel pressure on my gauge never changed with or with out the vaccuum line

thanks for the help.

The F/P should spike up a bit w/o vacuum, something is amiss

Senior SCH Member
    yeah. i hope its because i have the gauge after the fuel pressure regualtor. If not, i have been running it lean and that sucks big time.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Install it on the fuel rail which on 86-88 is behind the passenger head not on the front like 89+ models.

Senior SCH Member
    Well it seems like i dont have a shrader valve. There is no hookup on the fuel rail and where near the regulator back there. I just had the fuel rails off when i put new seals on my fuel injectors. Any thoughts?

Senior SCH Member

Shrader

What year is your car? My '89 has the shrader in front of the passager side valve cover, behind the alternator. Its on the fuel line, not the regulator.
    Its like a tire valve on the fuel line.
    Last edited by Alex; 05-28-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    What year is your car? My '89 has the shrader in front of the passager side valve cover, behind the alternator. Its on the fuel line, not the regulator.
    Its like a tire valve on the fuel line.
    ah, that makes sense. I will check when i get home and see if thats the case. Im sure it is. I looked forever for a valve on the top fuel rails.

Senior SCH Member
    its an 88 btw.

Senior SCH Member
    I would first try and replace the fuel filter. That could be a possible problem, I doubt it but it's a cheap fix. I would then get an AFPR and go from there. IF that does not solve the problem, I would suspect the pump? No idea for sure, but just a line of direction. My fuel pump went out on my z and it would die when i hit the throttle. So, of course, I had to replace the intake fuel pump 2 weeks after my knee surgery

Senior SCH Member

Valve

Quote Originally Posted by brian88lx
    its an 88 btw.
    ...Got it! I musta been on goof balls...