Thread: why is the sn supercharger so loud??

Junior SCH Member

Arrow why is the sn supercharger so loud??

i have a sn89 and the unit is loud. when at idle you can hear it wine is it supposed to do this?? also it feels like i have boost throughout my whole rpm range this isnt good is it?? could timeing be too high or too low?? what could cause this?? not good enough atf or enough of it??? or should i just put oil in it??

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You should have boost over 2000rpm usually on a 'SN' series so of course that is good. Now the sound, is it a smooth air sound or a chewing sound. If chewing then a bearing probably. If you can make a .wav file I can tell more if I hear it.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

its makes like a chewing sound and also i took it out and its hard to turn by hand does this mean its wearing out?? it was working fine last night now its squeeking load

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

does this mean my supercharger is going out???

Is the TYPE 'F' fluid now a grey color. They are hard to turn anyways but does it feel notchy when you turn it. Can you move the front pulley up and down and all around like a bearing is toast?

Junior SCH Member
    the fluid was a little darker i didnt have the unit on but 2 days that actually worked. and the pulley turned if i use a wrench and it did feel notchy but the pully doesnt move up or down or left or right its stays in perfect place just when the unit is on the unit squeeks badly and sounds loader than my bassani xpipe. i think it needs repair how much will it cost?? also is there place i can buy parts and install it my self? or is it too hard?

Craig at Paradise Wheels is the only person for parts. Rebuild kit is around $500 or send it to him and he will rebuild it for around $700.

Junior SCH Member
    deleted
    Last edited by buster; 05-30-2004 at 12:12 AM.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

deleted
    Last edited by buster; 05-30-2004 at 12:12 AM.

Junior SCH Member

Arrow

deleted
    Last edited by buster; 05-30-2004 at 12:13 AM.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Is the TYPE 'F' fluid now a grey color. They are hard to turn anyways but does it feel notchy when you turn it. Can you move the front pulley up and down and all around like a bearing is toast?
    Speedytang, When I took my charger apart, the fluid was red,but the fluid left inside was grey. What does the grey indicate? My bearings, races and output shaft looked fine. My charger started to whine loud for 3 minutes, then I took it off the car and never ran the charger until I rebuilt it. Did not want to dammage anything else!

Grey is from the impeller shaft and the balls slipping instead of rotating against each other and the grey is the tarnish of the heat generated.