Thread: 331 running, but cooling problems....

SCH Member

ramchargers fans

motor together with a number of issues, but i'll start with the cooling problem.
    I wonder what kind of elect. fan setup you guys are using because mine isn't cutting it. using an open perma cool 2900cfm fan. at idle or in traffic...etc car starts running hot but will maintain temp under 200 while at speed. (florida) I have the renegade 8" crank pulley and an autozone 3 row radiator, have very little room to work with. has anyone made the 94/95 elec. fan work with this setup. it doesn't look like it will fit so i'm wondering how to make more space, or is there a thinner setup available? maybe narrower radiator with better cooling? your thoughts please.
    Last edited by slow91; 06-11-2004 at 01:28 PM.
    s/c 331

Senior SCH Member
    Change the thermostat. I had the same issue, but was running with a stock radiator and fan. I switched to a Mr. Gasket 160*, and I run cool now.

ALot of the guys are running ramchargers fans. They are dual fans which are thin and do a great job of cooling. Do a search for it.
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

SCH Member
    nice tip. not that expensive either. split fans may fit with that big 8" pully in the middle. i'll look in to that further.
    s/c 331

SCH Member
    hmmm, checked it out on the site. 2340 just doesn't look like much cfm.
    s/c 331

Junior SCH Member
    I'm running a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and a flex-lite variable speed controller and I have had no cooling problems here in Texas.I even went back to the stock radiator after the new one sprung a leak...

SCH Member
    I measured 3.5" from middle of radiator to edge of crank pulley. i'm going to have to find a way to make more room whatever I go with.
    s/c 331

SCH Member
    anyone have details on the other fan that is more expensive on ramchargers but claims to be thinner. its the dual 12" one. I wonder what cfm the fan pulls.
    s/c 331