Thread: Once again, which type of fluid is best?

Senior SCH Member

Once again, which type of fluid is best?

Which type of fluid is best. I just did my first rebuild and used 50/50 trick shift and type f. I heard one is better then the other, yet, I hear mixed reviews?????? Is trick shift hard on the units? Or is it safe?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Which type of fluid is best. I just did my first rebuild and used 50/50 trick shift and type f. I heard one is better then the other, yet, I hear mixed reviews?????? Is trick shift hard on the units? Or is it safe?
    i use trick shift, I change it often. especially after the track.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Type 'F'
    11years and counting

Senior SCH Member
    Speedytang, what kind of life can I expect from my supercharger, miles ...etc.... Kind of a vague question, but I'm considering either keeping it and upgrading to a vr4 and nitrous,,,or saving for a procharger. I like the fact that I can rebuild the sn myslef, it's quiet, and I don't ahve to drop another 3Gs' compared tothe procharger, pus the procharger is super loud!

Also, Craig said that the drag on the ball drive should only be 22 inch lbs. I think...THINK he was talking of the 22inch lbs being measured from the output shaft while the unit is free turning(no belt on the unit but free spinning)?? What do you know of this?

Thanks for your input and help!

I have over 55k miles on my VR4 and replaced the rear impeller seal 3 times in 11 years and that is it. The 22inlbs could be but what did yours test at doing it that way.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    I have over 55k miles on my VR4 and replaced the rear impeller seal 3 times in 11 years and that is it. The 22inlbs could be but what did yours test at doing it that way.
    Well, I do not have a toruqe wrench that measures in inch lbs so needless to say, I jsut put the orginal shims in place as a friend told me to do and calledit good. 15ftlbs on the doughnut that secures the ball dirve. What kind of boost can I expect from a vr4 upgrade? 12psi since my orginal supercharger gave me 8.5 and now is giving 7psi? As you can tell, i'm reallly torn between spending more cash on a procharger OR keeping my sn and gettin a vr4 with some nitrous...

Procharger is a real nice unit and for the money is hard to beat. Even with a VR4 you will max at 14psi with the right conditions. Just remember that even 7psi on a VR4 is not the same as 7psi on a 'SN' You are moving twice the volumn of air on the VR4 at the same boost levels as a 'SN'.

Senior SCH Member
    One more question of the vr4. The discharge and intake on the unit. is it the same size as my sn2000. OR will i have to get a larger intake boot and also, a larger exhaust tube for my intake system that goes from teh charger to the intake?

SCH Member
    HEY SPEEDY, I DONT GET IT IS 8# OF BOOST FROM A PROCHARGER MORE BOOST THAN 8# FROM A SN-92 UNIT? HOW DOES THIS WORK? I THOUGHT BOOST WAS BOOST?

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse88
    HEY SPEEDY, I DONT GET IT IS 10# OF BOOST FROM A PROCHARGER MORE BOOST THAN A SN-92 UNIT? HOW DOES THIS WORK?
    Depends upon the CFM of the unit. I think the cfm of a procharger d1sc is 1400cfm. Not sure of the sn series, but the vr4 has a 1500cfm if i recall? anyway, more cfm = more power due to the incresed airflow.

SCH Member
    DOES CFM COUNT ACROSS THE POWERBAND OR JUST AT THE MAX?

Senior SCH Member
    I am pretty sure it counts across teh board. IF the supercharger is going throught the rpm range at WOT, that is where the CFM's come into play. Now at part throttle, is a whole different story.

VR4- 4" Inlet, 3.25" Discharge
    'SN' Max 825 CFM at 35k RPM
    825 CFM is at 6000 rpm
    VR4 Max 1500 CFM at 39k RPM.
    The trick with a VR4 is to use a 6.87" crank and a 3.5" Supercharger pulley and you will be at 1400 CFM+ at 4000 rpm and you will be pushing that much air till your redline.
    Some place in my stuff I have a Supercharger Dyno run of my VR4 when I had it tested back in 93-94. My unit ramped up fast which is what the Ball Drive was known for and with the VR4 impeller it was balanced for 60k rpm.