Thread: To change, or not to change.....

SCH Member

To change, or not to change.....

Ok, i have a VR4 on the car now, and the bearings are starting to go out on it.

Should i spend the $500 to fix the VR4, and pulley it down....or switch all together for a S-trim?

What do you guys think?

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    $500 or $2600+ for the same performance.
    If your going to change go with a Novi2000 or a Procharger.

Senior SCH Member
    I was considering either going with a procharger or nitrous or upgrading my sn2000 to the vr4. My only concern with keeping the ball drive vr4 was the longevity of the ball drive unit. I have heard horror stories about the ball drive units. But my OWN experience was .... I got 15K in 4 years on my unit. My dip stick oil cooler seal leaked and the fluid got low. A buddy of mine inspected the internals and teh only thing that went bad were the balls. My buddy has a machine shop and he said it was probally due to teh oil gettin low. Knowing this and that there are a quite a few guys who have good luck with these chargers, including myself, I decided to spend 500 and get the vr4 instead of 3500 for the procharger. Reasons I decided to keep my sn2000/VR4 is becasue of a few reasons; I learned how to rebuild the ball drive unit, The cost of upgrading to the vr4 was 3000 LESS than the procharger, The VR4 is QUIET! You can hear the procharger coming down the street, which is cool until you have to live with it! I can even add nitrous if i wanted,,,,no thanks! I do need to formulate a plan to put a bov on as well as an additional oil cooler for the superhcarger.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 06-24-2004 at 11:33 PM.