Thread: The VR4

Senior SCH Member

The VR4

The VR4 is an excellent piece of machinary.

That is all :)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Agree......

Senior SCH Member
    WHen I had the vr4 on my car running 8psi, I could not tell much difference. However, the belt was slipping bad! So it's hard for me to judge between the vr4 and my sn2000. I regret not being able to get the 8 rib set up and then run the vr4, but cost was an issue. Also, was the loud whistle! My whole reason for not upgrading to the procharger was becasue they are L O U D! I like a sleeper! My sn2000 with the mod 2 impeller does have a very slight whistle to it, just perfect! SO now I'm adding some NO2. gonna try a 50shot, maybe a 75shot. I also plan on putting a remote bottle opener on it. But needless to say, I do regret sellign the vr4:( When I did have the vr4 on my car, every ricer that drove by slowed way down!:D kind of funny, no one wants to mess with the big boyz! V8's supercharged or sound supercharged / turbocharged:D Who knows, maybe some time in the future, I'll get my hands on another VR4???

Senior SCH Member
    I currently am seeing about 8-9 psi with my sn-89 pulleys attached to it. Thats a big improvement over my 4psi with my sn-89 and for the cost, you cant beat that. When I get my bypass valve and my 4 in maf i expect even more. I want to go 8 rib but someone in my car club pointed me in this direction.

http://www.reichardracing.com/ultra_grip_pulley.php

i havent figured out what to do yet. get my pulleys notched for around a 100 or spend 300 and get the 8 rib pulleys. only problem is, if i get 8 rib pulleys i need to switch to an electric fan. if i switch to an electric fan, i need to upgrade my alternator. check that site out dirk, that could have been your answer to your belt slip. i may try it out myself. the fella in my car club is running around 13 lbs of boost on a regular belt on a vortech unit.

SCH Member
    Dirk doesn't have a VR-4 to try it on anymore. :p

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red350DropTop
    Dirk doesn't have a VR-4 to try it on anymore. :p
    yep. thats what i hear.

maybe the new owner should try it. :D

My 8rib clears my factory fan assy. I really think 10rib would clear also.

Senior SCH Member
    hmm. it sure looks tight already. i will have to check into this.

I just went out and measured and with my H.D. 3 row and 8rib I still have 3/4" off the supercharger pulley and 1" at the crank. Check with Ian and he should be able to hook you up for your pulley needs.

Well I would say it wont.

The Paxton NOVI 2K somes with a fan spacer and the Vortech 10 rib swap kit also includes a fan spacer.

I had a 10 rib set up on my car (Vortech) and tried to get the fan on after the 10 rib crank was on and they do touch eachother.

If the crank pulley for the SN series has a diff offset then maybe, but I cant see it coming in much closer to the accessory drive.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    I'll take pictures when I get home, its a tight tight squeeze.