Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cometic Head gaskets where is - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cometic Head gaskets where is

Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    I ordered a one-off set from the direct and it'll probably be 3 weeks before i see them. it's already been two..........how much did you pay eric if you don't mind me asking?
    They were $150 for the pair...which is pretty much the same price that everyone else quoted me when I inquired about them via mail order with shipping. I got the c5480's which are the 4.08 .40 thickness.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Junior SCH Member

Cometics with o-ringed block?

Quote Originally Posted by fanglemeister
    Heads up: ordering those thick gaskets without knowing your quench height first is some risky business. If your final quench height is much over .060" you are going to risk having detonation problems that you normally wouldn't if your quench height was kept between .015 and .060". Example, if your slugs are +.025" out of the hole, don't go for any more than .080 compressed gasket thickness, or you'll start to lose the anti-det benefits of proper quench height.
    I already have my blocked o-ringed with steel and I run SCE Titan coppers on the street. I heard a comment recently that I could substitute copper wire for the steel and run Cometics without having to have the block decked to remove the grooves.

Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks,

Mitch
    '93 LX hatch
    342 CHP stroker
    TW heads
    Lunati 51025 cam
    AFM Typhoon intake
    T-trim, Renegade discharge, Mondo bypass
    28/74 cog pulleys
    PA Super Comp C4
    Aeromotive fuel system

No numbers on the new combo - old 302 combo:

10.80 @ 128 - 1.66 60'

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Peoples
    I already have my blocked o-ringed with steel and I run SCE Titan coppers on the street. I heard a comment recently that I could substitute copper wire for the steel and run Cometics without having to have the block decked to remove the grooves.

Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks,

Mitch
    You can not run any wire with the cometic gaskets. My block is also machined for an o-ring. Cometic said to just leave it out. There is no downside to just leaving the wire ring out with the cometic gaskets.

Junior SCH Member

Cool, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by itlkick
    You can not run any wire with the cometic gaskets. My block is also machined for an o-ring. Cometic said to just leave it out. There is no downside to just leaving the wire ring out with the cometic gaskets.
    Is there any downside to running Cometics on the street as opposed to something like a copper Titan? I liked the idea of a copper gasket with silicone already applied. My car was/is a daily driver but something went horribly wrong and now it's prolly a low 10/high 9 second money pit :o
    '93 LX hatch
    342 CHP stroker
    TW heads
    Lunati 51025 cam
    AFM Typhoon intake
    T-trim, Renegade discharge, Mondo bypass
    28/74 cog pulleys
    PA Super Comp C4
    Aeromotive fuel system

No numbers on the new combo - old 302 combo:

10.80 @ 128 - 1.66 60'

I plan on running the cometic hg's on the street as well in my 10/9 sec money pit as well. ;) I talked to them and they said there really is no down side.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D