Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR-4 Max ???

Senior SCH Member
    UH.............I think you guys need to do your homework! And get a life! Now, ......a......, the sn92's did flow 850cfm, however, the ...vr4 flows....................1500 NOT 850! I have a sn2000 which flows 850 cfm, however, 9lbs of boost is 9bls of boost! If it would flow more than 850cfm, I am sure it would give me more boost! As for the hot air....sounds like you need to realize that you are blowing a lot of it and just do your homework! Most of the sn's came with cold water injection systems and for up to 10psi, the cold water injection is sufficeint. I was considering going to a procharger, but the loud noise is what kept me from doing so! my buddy has one on his car with the same mods and he runs the similar times he is about 2/10ths faster...but he as an intercooler. As for me, I learned how to rebuild the SN's and for 300 bucks every 3-5 years, NOT WORHT spending another 3G's for the difference!! The Sn's are quiet! you can live with the stealth of the sn. I can run 12's all day long and no one can even hear me coming down the street! Now, when I had the vr4, you could hear me, but it was not even 1/2 as loud as my buddy who does have a procharger. Granted, they sound cool, but if you have to live with them every day.............NO THANKS! I am at teh limits of my sn, however, I did get a nos kit to add up to 150hp of laughing gas if needed...i'm only adding a 50 shot.

Yea, the ball drive has been around for a long time, it does have limitations as compared to the gear driven superchargers...but the ball drives have their atvantages over the gear dirven chargers too.

Dude, do your homework and before you even try to F with us here at the sn boad, know what your are getting into! It would be as if we went to the novi board or vortech board and bitched about your loud arse superchargers making all kinds of noise and getting the same hp as us here on the sn board give us a break and get a life ....bench racing
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 08-02-2004 at 12:50 AM.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I guess I have been lucky with my VR4. NOT
    I build 10psi with a very common engine combination that has 143k miles on it and builds more than 485rwhp.
    The VR4 was built for racing and not for everyday use but I have been doing it 55k+ miles.
    I for example am sick of hearing about the Procharger being self contained because the Paxton Ball unit has been doing it 40+ years and the Procharger still has not fixed the leakage issue they have had now for 2+ years. For my purpose at this time I will keep my VR4 and over the winter I will have pictures of my new 347ci engine using a rare Dual VR4 mount and plan on seeing 650rwhp and it be driven on the street daily.

Junior SCH Member
    I under stand. I would like to see the duel vr4's on one motor I saw that 15yrs ago with the sn89's nice set up!

SCH Member

SCH Member
    Boost is relative to the motor you are specifically working on. If you are dying for boost then pull your camshaft and put in a 114 lobe sep with no overlap and you will build boost like you never have before. You will all be happy with the psi numbers on the gauge, but you motor will run worse than it did before. Realize you cannot comare somebody else's motor to yours because the internals are different and they severly affect the boost you see at the manifold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior SCH Member
    speedytang, Make sure you use a good forged crank and have it keyed on both sides!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I have the crank it is rated at 1200 hp and cost way to much for what you get. LOL
    It is knife edged and all the other good toys. I have the 'R' block and the heads are being shipped to me next week after being promised to be completed 3 months ago. This engine will probably dyno at about 500 hp at 7200 rpm by the calculations so I figure I will force 10psi at 2500+cfm and should make a easy 650 rwhp at 6000 rpm. But not going in a Mustang, this engine is going in a Fiberglass Ford Street Rod.

LOL Aaron you rock! I will certainly look you up when i get the ol lady a car and i need some balldrive savvy thrown my way.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    I got the eagle 4340 forged crank that weighed 45lbs, but no knife edge. I'm gonna get teh crank keyed on both sides when I get it next week. I,,,, I think WE all want to see pic's of the twin VR4 setup!:D

SCH Member

SCH Member
    I agree with alot of what is being spoken about on this thred, If the ball drives are taken care of and respected they will last atlot of fun filled years! But one thing I disagee with is the comment that Boost is Boost! A Vr4 @ 8# and an sn unit @ 8# is totaly different! The Vr4 flows more cfm across the whole rpm range so @ 8# it is flowing more than the Sn. I have 2 Supercharged cars one with a Sn 93 and the other with a Intercooled Procharger I had the Sn on the car that now has the Procharger. Had them Both on a dyno and with Just 2 more # of boost the Pro-charger made 84 more Hp!@ 100+ tq,and I was told that the intercooler does nothing on a dyno so the diffrence on the street would be Huge! The Diffrence is in the CFM! my Procharger flows 1200 CFM and the sn flows 850 CFM. I must say though the sn makes boost Alot faster it takes almost up to 3200 rpm to make boost with the procharger and it is not stealthy at all but with the 15# pulley on there is nothing Like it! Its all a matter of choice but I love them Both. They both have there ups and downs.