Thread: got the novi in yesterday

Junior SCH Member

got the novi in yesterday

Well.....it was more of a pain to install that supercharger than i thought!! Took me 2 7hr days of working. Well i couldnt disconnect the fuel lines with that tool they provided me....and neither could 3 other guys. I had to get the car running for work today so i put everthing together besides the FMU (fcu). The car runs great....but i havent got on it because the timing is still advanced(will change today) and didnt know if i was going to hurt the car without the fmu. Any advice? Oh i put in 1 step colder of a plug....the car ran like ****!! Put the stock autolites in it(25)..ran like a champ again. Should i just get bigger injectors and a adj. regulator? I got my walbro and a new fuel filter installled so i know i am getting enough fuel to the motor but i wonder if my stock regulator and injectors are enough fuel without the fmu? Any advice on my options?

ps. I tried for 2 hrs to disconnect 1 fuel line(return line off of the rail)....and could not do it.....they must be stuck LOL!

SCH Member
    if you running the stock 19lb injectors then YES run the fmu. I can't really help you out on disconnecting the lines. i take mine on and off like i do a pair of shoes so mine pop on and off pretty easy. Maybe try a better line disconnect tool. You will want to run at least a autolite 24 plug gapped at .030-.035. mine are gapped at .035 and i think it is blowing the spark out after 5300rpms, so i'll close the gap a bit and hope it helps.

if you got the money then step up to bigger injectors with matching calibrated MAF. Just make sure you plan ahead for mods down the road. I thought i would be running my novi on a stock motor so i bought 30lb. injectors... and well now i have edelbrock heads, intake and a cam so i have to run a fmu to supply enough fuel.

Senior SCH Member
    I have had good luck with the fuel line disconnecting tools that are like pair of scissors. You open and close them to mate up the ends to disconnect different size fuel lines. Hard to explain, but my AC lines were a pain to get off too.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Junior SCH Member
    went with autolites 24's and gapped em at 35 and it ran like junk.....so i went back to the 25's. I try and do the fmu today....how long should it take me to hook it up?

Quote Originally Posted by RSNovi
    I have had good luck with the fuel line disconnecting tools that are like pair of scissors. You open and close them to mate up the ends to disconnect different size fuel lines.
    I agree. I also have the 'scissors' type disconnect tools. I bought them at Autozone for a couple bucks. They are metal instead of that crappy plastic one you get with the Novi kit.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

No matter how long you thought it took, it still didnt take as long as a Procharger or a turbo kit.
    BTW, my fuel lines came right off, that sux about yours.
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

SCH Member
    Are you sure it was the autolite 24s causing it to run like crap?? I never heard of that. You really need to run the 24s if at all possible to help with detonation.

as for as how long it takes to hook up the fmu... not that long after you get the lines disconnected. Regardless of how long it takes it needs to be done.

PS.. took me about 10 hours just to get my powerpipe and intake plumbing on last weekend.

Junior SCH Member
    Got my fuel lines disconnected and the fmu on and working. Yes i am 100% positive that the 24's made my car run like crap!! So after i got everthing hooked up(so i thought) i retarded my timing to 9-10 degrees and took the car for a spin. I boosted it hard in second gear(6k rpm) and all of a sudden my car was smoking from the back. I pulled over and oil was all over the fire wall. I think i poped my pcv valve out or somthing. I looked back there and there was a hard plastic tube that runs from the lower intake in the back. It runs twords the driver side of the car...not sure where its connected. Well i put it back into the hole(hole size of a dime) and i went right in.....not tention or nothing. It seems like i would just pop out again. Maybe something else is missing back there....i have to look better today when i get home from work. For now the car is sitting. Any advice on what i did?

Ps. I forgot to hook up the breather from the oil filler tube on the valve cover to the plastic airfilter cover that i was supposed to ......i think thats why my car did that yesterday....to much pressure that was not vented properly.........my fault