Thread: Sweet sweat equity

Senior SCH Member

Sweet sweat equity

After Art Carr's shop installed the Powerglide, the GT would make one strong run, and then progressively get slower over the course of the evening. One week ago was typical -> 7.70 (eighth), then 8.0, 8.2 and 8.5. So...

Yesterday I installed my tranny temperature gauge, which I plummed into the line out to the cooler. I did it this way in part because I noticed that Art Carr's shop had installed the cooler lines between the bellhousing and the exhaust. The lines actually rested right on the exhaust, but had been wrapped with some kind of heat insulating material (presumably to protect them from the exhaust). This insulator wasn't doing that great a job though considering that a zip tie had been melted straight through :shocked: . Needless to say, I rerouted the lines well clear of the exhaust.

The results? Using my standard cool down procedure (very liberal - minimal 30 min. between runs), I had the following results (in run order): 7.70, 7.44, 7.52, and 7.48. Not too shabby - huh? Time to take the car north and make some 1/4 runs :teeth: . I should be able to easily click off some mid-11 sec. runs.

I also found and fixed the source of my leaking tranny fluid. But I'll save that story for another time. It's a doozy though.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

Glad to hear you got it fixed david!

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The only way to get the quality work you want is to do it yourself. :)
    Jorge

Senior SCH Member

It's a cryin' shame

Quote Originally Posted by blueoval92
    The only way to get the quality work you want is to do it yourself. :)
    I'm afraid truer words have never been spoken. Although in my many encounters since wandering into the GT money pit, there have been a couple of diamonds in the rough. The problem is that they're so damn hard to find :cry:

What one really needs is a friend or two who aren't mechanically challenged.

Thanks for your support. When things like this happen, I sometimes think (worry) that I'm just too picky.
    Last edited by David Schwarz; 09-25-2004 at 11:07 PM.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

Right on David, It was good seeing you out there spanking it last night. I only wish I was able to bring the tank down & partake in the fun. its coming along I made some progress on it today. You keep this up & you are going to give slow-poky with the blue Rustang a run for the bucks, LOL.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Schwarz
    What one really needs is a friend or two who aren't mechanically challenged.
    I thought I was your friend :cry:
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by Bobalos
    I only wish I was able to bring the tank down & partake in the fun. its coming along I made some progress on it today. You keep this up & you are going to give slow-poky with the blue Rustang a run for the bucks, LOL.

Bob
    The term "all show, no go" comes to mind when I think of you Bob. As far as David goes, I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I got him covered by at least 1.5 seconds.....in the 1/8 :shocked: . Thats a lot of ground to make up :teeth:
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    I thought I was your friend :cry:
    You're one of the diamonds in the rough buddy :kiss: Speaking of which, there's this motor I'm going to want to pull in the near future :teeth:

Now, as for your 1.5 seconds - we can talk about that around this time next year :p
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    The term "all show, no go" comes to mind when I think of you Bob. As far as David goes, I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I got him covered by at least 1.5 seconds.....in the 1/8 :shocked: . Thats a lot of ground to make up :teeth:
    Im touched Doug,:cry: that you think my car is even nice enough to be "all show". I think its about as ugly as can be (just NOT fond of the color). & your right, it doesn't even run but its getting there, made a little progress this weekend. :) :) I will be out soon enough.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com