Thread: Possibly getting mass air meter not meant for my car.

Possibly getting mass air meter not meant for my car.

There is a guy that wants to sell me a brand new 80mm Pro M mass air meter on the cheap. But its not calibrated for my car. Its for a 88-93 GT with 42lb injectors. Will that be a problem? Will they be able to fix this perfectly if I get a custom tune and chip?
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Your hunch is correct, it will work with a custom eec tune, but only if you have the original Pro-M 9-point flow sheet to give to your chip tuner! Are you running the X3Z Cobra calibration? If so, that computer will accept the entire A9L "GT" calibration (along with the proper injector and MAF transfer info), because the computers are essentially the same!

For those peeking in on this thread who did not know, neither OEM nor aftermarket MAF meters are calibrated to a certain injector size, they are calibrated to a certain eec calibration -- and in the case of aftermarket meters, setup to cut pulsewidth accordingly for injector size changes. A Fox meter setup to run 42s has a slightly different transfer curve than the same meter setup for an SN95, and an oem meter setup for 42s like the Lightning meter, has a VERY different transfer curve than either of those two. None of them are interchangeable without proper eec adjustment.
    Chris