Thread: Looking for answers

Junior SCH Member

Looking for answers

My muscle car (70 GTO) restoration/hotrodding project has come to the engine phase. Definitely considering the centrifugal route. Have absolutely no experience. Engine will be strong enough to easily live with the boost Im looking at running (under 15#). Figure 490-500 ci with EFI and its a street car. Looking hard at the Vortech YSi, mounted on the drivers side. Any generic brackets available? Would like to use a cog belt drive. Who supplies these belts? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMAN
    My muscle car (70 GTO) restoration/hotrodding project has come to the engine phase. Definitely considering the centrifugal route. Have absolutely no experience. Engine will be strong enough to easily live with the boost Im looking at running (under 15#). Figure 490-500 ci with EFI and its a street car. Looking hard at the Vortech YSi, mounted on the drivers side. Any generic brackets available? Would like to use a cog belt drive. Who supplies these belts? Thanks for any help.
    vortech sells a carburated big block kit that for driver side..im sure you can get just the brackets from vortech,and yes they work with the ysi...
    dale@swillracing

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks. How about drive (crank to blower). Where can I find info on 50mm wide, 8mm tooth cog belts. Specifically, what lengths are available? Ive found a place to get pulleys made, so Im down to available belt sizes (which will have a lot to do with establishing the distance from the crank to the blower). Im fairly certain these are made by Gates, but I could not find them on the Gates site.

Hey SDMan,

a good resource for Poncho-Specific stuff is http://www.pontiacdude.cc/ he has a pretty fast Poncho & has apparently built a few of them. He is also on the blow through carb board (http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...ser=huntracers) every so often. I understand your not going blow through, but he might be a good resource for you.

Bob
    www.XtrmBowties.com

Junior SCH Member
    Bobalos.... Ive spoken with Pdude a few times. Sold him some parts as well. He has quite a bit of centrifugal experience. Been doing a lot of research and have the basic combo worked out and underway. Aftermarket block with a 4.280" bore and a 4.250" billet crank (being made now for a new years delivery). This gets 490 inches. Oliver billet 6.735" connecting rods. KRE CNC 87cc Edelbrocks with 250cc intake ports, 2.150" intake valves and 1.810" exhaust valves. Chambers opened up to 96cc. Final CR will be right at 8.9:1. Exhaust side will flow well over 80% of the intake. The Victor intake is already plumbed for the injectors and rails and has a Dominator type 1400 cfm throttle body. Looking at an Extreme Velocity hat and a Vortech Ysi. Custom crank pulley for 3:1 to supercharger (6000 rpm ceiling). Want to keep the max boost to around 12 pounds or so.

Im doing a fair amount of software modelling with Performance Trends Pro, but it does not seem to make a lot of difference when I tweak camshaft numbers. Even between very different grinds. So Im looking for input on camshaft specs being used by others. Right now Im looking at using the following. .420" lobe lift, 244@.050" intake duration, 250@.050" exhaust duration with a 114-116 degree lobe seperation installed 2-4 degrees advanced. Id appreciate any input from those running similarly boosted street motors.