Thread: intake

intake

Anyone ever used a Comp Cams polymer box upper intake with a supercharger?
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop
    http://aircapitalmustangs.com

I never used one with a s/c, but back in my young, stupid days I fell victim to the advertising ploy of 20+ H/P gain.........So I bought me a Hartmann's intake kit (The old Comp Cams piece) slapped it on and virtually lost every bit of my usuable torque, but boy it sure did scream above 5k RPM's, too bad the rest of my motor was pretty stock...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

I've heard it doesn't work well with a stock motor, being the box style. I thought it might work good with a supercharger though.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd
    2 belt Novi 1000 stock pullied, stock motor, 19# injectors, 12:1 FMU, 155lph fuel pump, Autolite 23's @.037, A9P pcm, Kirban AFPR, electric fan, PPI 180* t-stat, 3 row radiator, 2.5" off road h-pipe, 40 series Flows dumped, 3.73 gears, weld in SFC's, FRPP alum. driveshaft w/ Jeg's loop

Considering that it uses the stock lower intake, there are far better choices out there....plus I think that it'd still kill bottom end. Box style intakes are typically reserved for big cube or high boost, high RPM motors. If this is a daily driver I'd look at other options........Alot have had good success with the systemax intake, I personally run a TFS Track Heat....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    I inquired about the "bread boxes" last year with local shop. he said they lost 3-4 tenths using them even with highly modified track car. you loose so much of the torque that gets your car moving and the couple of peak hp you get on top doesn't make up for it.
    s/c 331

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Some guys run the Downs breadbox on their 351W GT40 lower intakes as a form of passive traction control, because they kill a good bit of bottom end torque.

I'd only consider using a Hartman/Comp box for a stock lower if one fell into my lap real cheap, and I was doing a mega-cheapo junkyard turbo system. The big plenum volume is somewhat useful in a turbocharged application.
    Chris

Thanks for all the good info guys.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

If you already dropped coin on one, best bet would be to find a (discontinued?) Holley Systemax 1 lower intake manifold. This part not only flows much better than the stock lower, but also ( for the most part) corrects the bad cyinder-to-cylinder flow imbalance of the stocker (have seen as much as +/- 30cfm difference from best to worst runner).
    Chris

I haven't bought one. Just curious about them.

I'm really interested in making my own upper intake. I'm a TIG welder and have access to all the materials/equipment I'd need. Just wish there were plans somewhere I could build one from.
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd

Go for it! All you need to match is the lower intake flange, and be in the general neighborhood for the throttle body, the rest is wide open to get creative. If you can find it, look at the intake on one of the RRR Racing (Saleen) cars that Tim Allen used to co-drive a few years ago, basically you want to build a "box of trumpets".
    Chris

I think I might just do that. I can work on it a little bit at a time at work. We've got thick plate all the way to thin sheet aluminum. I could do it in stainless too.

Would a shorter runner than stock work better with boost?
    1990 LX 5.0 5spd