Thread: 331 stroker and novi 1k

Senior SCH Member

331 stroker and novi 1k

question of the day?
    i have a chance to get a 331 stroker with R block.
    but i have edelbrock rpm heads 2.02/1.60 box stock.
    also i have edelbrock rpm intake, long tubes, anderson b41 cam, 1.6 rockers,and the novi 1k.

i am wondering if this engine is to much for what accessories i have. like will i have to get the heads ported some on the exhaust side. i have a f150 pulley now and it is 8 lbs.
    i am going to get the 7 or 7.5 bigger pulley to make more power.
    i am going with 42 lbers and aeromotive fuel system also.

just some good opinions would help here

thanks everyone.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    I don't forsee any problems with this combo, it's not like you are moving up to a 408ci windsor. If anything, you might want to ditch the RPM intake and go with the revised for 2003 new RPM intake, it's sort of like a TFS_R intake, i.e. much different from the Performer 5.0 intake (about time, IMO). I'd upgrade your fuel rails along with the fuel system.

OTOH it never hurts to make exhaust ports ever more efficient on a blower motor!

Senior SCH Member
    thanks for the reply, i have a complete aeromotive system for fuel including fuel rails to go on. so i have that covered.
    how would a victor 5.0 work for an intake or a new spyder intake.
    i have a chance to buy a spyder. i know there will be a loss of low end torque..?

nstycpe93: That sounds like an awesome motor! I would jump on it for sure. You will be getting the pulley, you have the fuel, so you should be good to go.

I would swap the intakes, and it just so happens I have one for you ;) I am picking it up tomorrow. It is a Downs box upper ported to a 75MM and ported for the GT40 lower. The GT40 lower has been ported, cut and welded. The doglegs have been taken out so the intake flows HUGE! It comes with an intake spacer, and all gaskets. All work was done by TEA, and all items are new, worth over $1200USD. If you are interested, just le me know via e-mail.

Ian

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by nstycpe93
    how would a victor 5.0 work for an intake or a new spyder intake. i have a chance to buy a spyder. i know there will be a loss of low end torque..?
    For the money the victor 5.0 is a good intake, but if the deal is right on that spyder setup I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.
    I subscribe to the carbedmustang ML, one topic that always pops up is that the Vic Jr. carb intake does not lack good low end torque if you have gears and the fuel and timing correct (which it would not be, unfortunately, running a stock eec system).

Which reminds me: Are you going to be running something (chip, eec-tuner, etc) to disable the eec rev limiter? If not, you might as well stick with the RPM intake and shift below 6200. If you are going to tune the eec, you can make the spyder intake work very nicely.

In any case, with stroker motors you don't have to be as concerned going too big on the intake runners and ports - not only is the engine physically bigger, but the way a stroker works with the steep rod ratios, the pistons accelerate in a stroker much more violently, which causes the motor to "act" like a much bigger engine. IOW a 347 can get away with a bigger intake, cam, etc. than a 351 with a lazier rod ratio.

Senior SCH Member
    well i bought the r block 331. its draw back might be the 8:1 compression ration but having the novi will help some. i will need to get a bigger crank pulley.

also, the cam i have in it is a solid roller with solid lifters. the gross valve lift is .603 exhaust is .590
    druation at .050 is 236 intake and 230 exhaust
    lobe separation is 112.0

so i think i will be ok just need to get my heads o ringed to accept the o ringed block groove.
    the block was at the right price so i bought it. pistons have been cut for twisted wedge heads although i have edelbrock rpm.
    i am going to bring them to machine shop and have new springs, retainers, keepers put in to accomadate the cam.
    thanks for everyone help and if you have anymore suggestions please feel free to write. this is the best info web site.
    thanks