Thread: Tapping the oil pan

Tapping the oil pan

Just heading out to the garage to punch a big hole in my Canton oil pan (still installed) for the return line fitting........... Anybody have any last words of wisdom and or tips ???????

Thanks
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

If the sway bar is on take off cause you have alot more room. Just so happened mine was long gone when i did my blower. :D

Take your time :)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Don't fear tapping the pan :D It's not to bad of an ordeal. Just take your time and when you get to tapping it pack the tap in hvy grease, work it in evenly & slowly a little, back it out, clean it off and repack with grease, tap a little further and keep repeating til ya get thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Thanks for the tips guys, it took a little while but it is done, no problems. Hopefully smooth sailing from here.......
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Junior SCH Member
    In addition to all the things mentioned above, after tapping my pan I changed the oil/filter and installed magnetic drain plugs for added insurance.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckash
    In addition to all the things mentioned above, after tapping my pan I changed the oil/filter and installed magnetic drain plugs for added insurance.
    A strong magnet from a hobby store is a good idea for any engine. You can see what floating around in your engine at every oil change.

Junior SCH Member
    Do you put that magnet on the oil filter then cut the filter open?

SCH Member
    Anyone try the FilterMag oil filter magnets? Worth the investment?
    '86 GT: Vortech V2 SQ S-Trim, AFM Power Pipe, Seris III PMS, Pro-M 80 AFM N/A cal, Edelbrock Performer RPM, E7s, Stock Cam, 1.6 RRs, 75mm TB, 42# injectors, No FMU, GSS340 255lph, MAC 1-5/8" LTs, 2.5" H-pipe, 2-ch. Flowmasters, 3.73s, Auburn Pro, Strange 9" axles with 9" axle ends, J&M adj LCAs, Crane HI-6R, 3G 130amp alt., & Need a WB!

Future Mods: TFS TW Fast as Cast Heads, AFM B-31 Cam, & Snow Performance Meth Kit

Junior SCH Member
    On the canton oil pans the dipstick screws into the side of the pan... if the correct fittings can be found would it be a bad idea to use that fitting to drain back oil from the supercharger?
    Thanks
    Ken